Reds activate slugger Suarez from injured list
Cincinnati Reds' Eugenio Suárez, right, celebrates with first base coach Mike Napoli (75) after hitting a single off Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Jesse Scholtens during the sixth inning of a baseball game in St. Petersburg, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)
CINCINNATI (AP) — The Cincinnati Reds’ struggling offense got a boost on Friday when designated hitter Eugenio Suárez was activated from the 10-day injured list. Suárez, who was signed to a one-year, $15 million free-agent contract in February, had been on the IL since April 25 with a mild left oblique strain. The Reds will ease him back into the lineup. “We’re going to have to pick our spots early,” Reds manager Terry Francona said. “We don’t want to run him into the ground. He’ll probably play two of three this weekend. We’ll have to balance all that.” Suárez got off to a slow start in his return to the Reds, batting .231 with three home runs and 11 RBIs in 25 games. Also on Friday, the Reds placed third baseman Ke’Bryan Hayes on the 10-day IL with a lumbar bulging disk, retroactive to May 21. Hayes is batting .142 with two homers and five RBIs in 44 games. After going 20-11 to start the season, Cincinnati struggled without Suárez. Sal Stewart, who typically bats cleanup with Suárez fifth, hit .151 with one homer during an 18-game stretch while he was out. “Even having his energy, that positive energy (back) helps,” Francona said, of Suárez. “And hopefully get him back healthy.” Cincinnati’s series opener on Friday against the St. Louis Cardinals was postponed because of rain and will be made up Saturday at 1:10 p.m. EDT as part of a split doubleheader. The originally scheduled game remained a 7:15 p.m start. Schwarber returns to Phillies lineup PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Kyle Schwarber still got on bass — guitar, that is — even as he sat out the last three games with a gastrointestinal illness. Schwarber jammed at his fundraising block party this week with members of Mt. Joy and flashed his musical talent on a rendition of “Seven Nation Army.” Schwarber’s next smash hit should come in the Phillies’ lineup. The major league home run leader with 20, Schwarber was back at designated hitter and batting second in Friday’s game against Cleveland. Schwarber played in 225 straight games before he missed all three games this week against Cincinnati. “I mean, I’m just never going to break Cal Ripken’s record,” Schwarber said. “You take pride in being available on a daily basis. I think that’s the biggest thing in our game, always try to make yourself available, being healthy.” The Reds took two of three and slowed the momentum of a Phillies team that had surged since interim manager Don Mattingly took over last month. The Phillies went from 9-19 to 25-23 before losing the last two games to the Reds. “It’s nice to have him back in the lineup and try and get our mix back together,” Mattingly said before Friday’s game. Schwarber said he had no restrictions in his return from the gastrointestinal illness against Cleveland right-hander Gavin Williams. “It wasn’t like I was out there and got the runs or anything like that,” Schwarber said with a laugh. “I’ve dealt with it before. This hasn’t really happened in season before. I kind of knew what to expect.” Schwarber hit nine home runs in his last 10 games. Schwarber reached 20 home runs in his 45th game and became the second-fastest Phillies player to 20 home runs in club history behind only Cy Williams, who did it in his 44th game in 1923. “His timing is going to be off,” Mattingly said. “He’s going to get it back. In general, I think once we get to a certain period of the season, you’ve got enough at-bats under your belt, a couple days (off) doesn’t really hurt you.” One positive during his absence: Schwarber’s block party raised $443,000 for first responders and their families at Union Transfer in Philadelphia. He did enjoy taking the stage with his guitar. “Hell yeah, got me back to like my high school days,” Schwarber said.