Mid-Ohio Valley ready to mark Independence Day
PARKERSBURG — A number of activities are planned in the Mid-Ohio Valley around the Fourth of July holiday.
* The American Legion Post 15 Carnival and fireworks show at Parkersburg’s City Park begins Tuesday 2 and runs through Saturday with games, rides and concessions. Rides are scheduled to be open from 5-11 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and from noon-11 p.m. today (Fourth of July) and Saturday, July 6.
The event is sponsored by American Legion Post 15 of Parkersburg, which will be offering bingo each day. The fireworks show will be at 10 p.m. today in City Park, with a rain date on Friday if necessary.
* Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park will be open for the Independence Day holiday today, with a special bell-ringing ceremony at 2 p.m.
Boats to the island will depart Point Park in downtown Parkersburg between 11 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The cost of the boat ride is $10 for adults and $8 for children ages 3-12. The island features mansion tours, wagon rides, bike rentals, snack stand and a gift shop.
Boat tickets can be purchase at the Blennerhassett Museum of Regional History at Second and Juliana streets in downtown Parkersburg. For more information, call the park office at 304-420-4800.
* The Williamstown Lions Club will hold its pancake breakfast from 7-11 a.m. today in Tomlinson Park in Williamstown. The cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children under 12 and includes pancakes, sausage and drink. The money raised from the event benefits Lions community projects. The Williamstown Lions Club is also hosting its second annual Flags for Heroes in Tomlinson Park from June 29 through July 7.
* The North Hills Fourth of July Parade will be 10:30 a.m. today in North Hills.
Parade participants are asked to line up at the parking lot at the North Hills Swim and Racquet Club beginning at 10 a.m. The parade will start and end at the parking lot, where it will be followed by refreshments, games and activities. Prizes will be awarded for best floats and bicycles.
* In Parkersburg, the Artsbridge Summer Music Series will present Insured Sound at 7 p.m. today at the City Park bandshell.
Admission is free. In case of rain, the concert will be moved to the Horseshoe Pit Shelter.
* The Washington County Fairgrounds in Marietta will be celebrating Independence Day a little late, with activities on Saturday instead of today.
On Saturday, the fairgrounds will host day of tractor pulls, food and fireworks. Gates open at 11 a.m. with farm tractor pulls at noon and mini-mods at 7 p.m. The fireworks will be 10 p.m. Admission is $5, with children 10 and under admitted free.
* Marietta’s Independence Day Parade and Celebration will begin at 10 a.m. today in downtown Marietta.
The parade will start at Fourth and Butler streets. The parade route will follow Fourth Street, Putnam Street, Second Street, Butler Street and Front Street before ending at the Ohio National Guard Armory building in the 200 block of Front Street.
There will be a guest speaker, a salute to veterans and founders and a Civil War cannon demonstration. A lunch will be held at American Legion Post 64 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today.
* The Little Hocking Volunteer Fire Department will hold its Ice Cream Social today in Little Hocking.
Following lineup at 3:30 p.m., the social will start at 4 p.m. with a parade at Little Hocking Elementary School. There will be live entertainment, food and children’s games during the social.
* The Beverly Lions Club will sponsor its Antique Engine and Tractor Show from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at Fort Frye High School in Beverly.
Antique engine and tractor clubs and individuals are welcome to participate. The Beverly Lions Club will serve food during the show and the fireworks. There will be drawings and raffle tickets for prizes. The Vienna Skysharks of Waterford is a model airplane club which will have displays and demonstrations
A flag raising will be held at 9 a.m. followed by a kids tractor pull at 11:30 a.m. and a tractor parade at 1 p.m. Food will be available all day, beginning with a pancake breakfast at the Beverly Fire Station from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The community fireworks display in Beverly will be presented at Cadet Field at Fort Frye High School, sponsored by American Legion Post 389, at 10 p.m. today.
* The Little Muskingum Grange will hold its Pony Pull today at the Little Muskingum Watershed Association grounds on Ohio 26, about 20 miles north of Marietta at Wingett Run.
There will be pony classes for light, medium, and heavy weighs along with measure weight teams beginning at 9 a.m.
There will be concessions, a country store and drawings. Admission is $3 per person with children 12 and under admitted free.
* The Ripley Fourth of July Celebration will be held today at the Jackson County Courthouse in downtown Ripley, with activities which began Tuesday and will run through Sunday.
Today’s activities begin at 9 a.m. with the Little Patriot Hour on the courthouse lawn with children’s games and prizes for grades K-5. Opening ceremonies will begin at 10 a.m. with the Firecracker 2 Mile Race at 11:30 a.m.
The Grand Parade will be noon and there will be entertainment through the day until the fireworks display at 10 p.m.
This year’s entertainers include: Hogan’s Goat at 4 p.m.; Rockland Road at 6 p.m.; and event headliner Exile at 8 p.m.
The celebration will continue Friday with the Ripley High School Class Act featuring music by Back In the Day. The activities on Saturday will include “The Last Gallows” at 2 p.m., a free Ice Cream Social at 6 p.m., comedian Bill Lepp at 7 p.m. and Adam Tucker and Nikki Adkins at 8 p.m.
The week’s activities conclude Sunday with the U-Turn Concert featuring Building 429 at 6 p.m.
* In Nelsonville, the “Thunder in the Valley Fireworks Spectacular” will be 10 p.m. today on the Hocking College campus. The VIP area and parking opens at 5 p.m. The Hocking Valley Scenic Railroad Park and Ride Shuttle will operate fro 7:30-9:30 p.m., offering rides between the depot and campus at $4 per person. Food will be sold from 8-10:30 p.m.
Wayne Towner can be reached at email@example.com