Scalise sworn in as new Wood County emergency management director
Sam Scalise was sworn in as the new director of emergency management for Wood County on Thursday by Wood County Commission President Blair Couch as Wood County 911 Director Dale McEwuen looks on. (Photo by Brett Dunlap)
PARKERSBURG – A new assistant director for the Wood County 911 Center who will also oversee the county’s emergency services will be stepping into the position on June 1.
On Thursday, the Wood County Commission approved the hiring of Sam Scalise as the new director of emergency management, replacing Mike Shook who is retiring.
Commission President Blair Couch and Commissioner Jimmy Colombo approved the hire as Commissioner Jim Hamric was absent from Thursday’s meeting.
Scalise was present and was able to be sworn into the position by Couch.
Wood County 911 Director Dale McEwuen said they have been looking for someone to fill the position for a few weeks.
“Mr. Scalise is the best candidate that we have,” he said.
Camden Clark Ambulance Director Shawn Marshall appeared to speak in favor of Scalise’s appointment.
“He’s an excellent dispatcher and I hate to lose him in that role, but at the same time, I can’t think of anyone better,” he said. “I think he will be a tremendous asset as he already is.”
Scalise has been a volunteer fireman for the Blennerhassett Volunteer Fire Department since 1999 and has been involved with the fire and emergency medical service since 1980. He is retired from DuPont. He has worked as a dispatcher at the Wood County 911 Center since 2019.
“I think it is a good fit,” Scalise said. “I know a lot of people in the volunteer fire service and the ambulance service as well as the law-enforcement agencies.
“I enjoy working with them and I think very highly of them. I am looking forward to working with them in a bigger capacity than just telecommunications. I have always been very happy working in telecommunications. I loved the job and love the people I work with.”
Scalise is looking forward to getting started.
“I am looking forward to it and I am excited,” he said. “There is a lot of opportunity.
“I am hoping we can make a difference. We are always continuing to improve.”
Shook has had over 26 years of law-enforcement experience. He has served as the Wood County 911 Director when operations moved to their new location in the former Suddenlink building a couple years ago.
Shook declined to be interviewed about his retirement, opting instead to bow out quietly. He did say he was looking forward to pursuing other interests.
In other business, the commission certified the election results from the May primary.
Republican incumbent Bill Anderson, R-10th, was was short three votes to Republican challenger Justin Beanard with Beanard having 829 votes to Anderson’s 826.
Anderson had until Thursday at 12:26 p.m. to decide if he would ask for a recount. He had previously indicated he probably would not seek a recount.
County officials said Anderson did not contact them Thursday by the deadline so the results will stand with Beanard winning the seat.
Contact Brett Dunlap at bdunlap@newsandsentinel.com




