Decker pleads not guilty to multiple rape charges

Richard Decker and his attorney, Ray Smith, discuss his plea and possible sentencing after Decker’s arraignment Thursday morning at the Washington County Courthouse. (Photo by Michele Newbanks)
MARIETTA – A Marietta man faces life in prison after being indicted recently by a Washington County grand jury on 20 counts of first-degree felony rape of seven children from ages 5 to 17.
Richard Curtis “Rick” Decker Jr., 62, of 708 Front St. Apt. 14, pleaded not guilty Thursday morning during his arraignment at the Washington County Courthouse. He also pleaded not guilty on one second-degree felony count of felonious assault for allegedly hitting a 7-year-old with a blunt object, causing the girl to have a permanent dent in her forehead.
Along with the possible life sentence, he faces fines of up to $415,000.
During the arraignment, Washington County Common Pleas Judge Mark Kerenyi grouped charges together according to the similarity of the crime or victim. The charges involve seven different children.
For rape counts 1-6, Decker faces up to life in prison and a fine of $20,000 per count.
For rape count 7, he faces three to 11 years in prison with a $20,000 fine. For rape counts 8-11, he faces a mandatory minimum of 15 years to life for each count, and a fine of $20,000 for each count. Count 12 is the second-degree felonious assault charge, for which he faces two to eight years in prison and a $15,000 fine. Rape counts 13 and 14 have him facing life in prison for each count, plus a $20,000 fine for each. Rape counts 15-21 have him facing three to 11 years in prison for each count, plus a $20,000 fine for each count.
After counts 1-6 were read, Decker’s attorney, Ray Smith, said the penalty was incorrect.
Kerenyi responded that these are the current penalties, but they may change depending on when the offense occurred, as some of them date back to 1991.
He will be listed as a Tier 3 sex offender and, if he is convicted and then ever released from prison, would have to verify his address every 90 days for the rest of his life.
Kerenyi said he is not eligible for community control sanctions if convicted.
“Basically sir, you are facing life in prison,” he said.
Before bond was set, Washington County Prosecutor Nicole Coil told the court that there are more victims but Decker only has one life to serve out the more than eight life sentences possible if he is found guilty.
“Charges have not been filed in relation to every victim who has come forward and the police department has learned of new victims since this case has been indicted,” Coil said. “His crimes have spanned over 20 years and have included victims who are as young as 5 years old and include both male and female victims. Given these crimes have occurred as long as they have, the state would argue that it is dangerous to conclude that Mr. Decker would not continue to sexually prey on more juveniles given the opportunity.”
She then asked the court for Decker’s bond to remain at $500,000.
“That was a nice speech. He is indigent and based on the charges, we are more than satisfied to keep the bond as set,” Smith said.
Coil said if the court were inclined, Kerenyi could set bond higher than $500,000.
“Court’s going to set bond at $1 million cash surety,” Kerenyi said.
Decker, a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, was arrested Dec. 22 after a victim who is now more than 30 years old reported being raped by him from the ages of 5 or 6 to age 17. At the time of his arrest, he was charged with one count of first-degree felony rape.
When detectives from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office met with the victim in October, she allegedly told them that she had been anticipating their visit because Decker is a serial rapist.
The woman told detectives she was sexually assaulted by Decker too many times to recall and it occurred on a frequent basis.
Decker was also investigated in 1992 by Marietta Police for alleged similar crimes against children and teens. He was indicted for gross sexual imposition and was later found guilty on a lesser charge.
Coil said the statute of limitations on the crimes is 25 years from the time the victim turns 18.
During Decker’s interview with detectives, he reportedly admitted to engaging in sexual intercourse with the initial victim as a child, but said he was unsure how old the girl was at the time.
He reportedly made statements that the sexual intercourse was not meant to be rape or molestation. Instead, he was teaching the victim how to satisfy her future partner or husband.
Coil explained Decker has had a lifetime of abusing drugs and alcohol and would use them to lure his teenage victims to be more vulnerable to the rape and gross sexual imposition. The youth would reportedly get into a state where they were not cognizant of what was going on.
Washington County Assistant Prosecutor Joe Derkin asked Kerenyi if he could rule that Decker have no contact with any of his victims.
“I don’t think he’s getting out (on bond),” Kerenyi replied.
Decker’s jury trial is set for 9 a.m. Feb. 25 in Kerenyi’s courtroom.