Marietta Aquatic Center to open for summer
Trending
After a week of the city saying it will close the Marietta Aquatic Center to save money in response to a negative performance audit, the center's fortunes have reversed and it will open this year.
During a Marietta City Council meeting Thursday night, Mayor Joshua Schlicher announced that the city has started a plan to get the MAC opened this year.
Schlicher said council requested the city provide cost savings and he decided to close the MAC and announced it at an April 11 public meeting. He said it takes a grand total "of just shy of $400,000 a year" to operate the MAC.
He also said that revenue varies but the MAC brings in a total of $280,000 a year, which is a deficit.
"Through the actions of the public ... who have taken on the role of rallying everyone ... I am happy to announce tonight that we've discussed our agreement with the professional management company ... with their help and with others and other groups that we talked to I think we can get close to a zero amount (for operating costs for the MAC)," Schlicher said
"I am pleased we have put everything in motion to open and operate the center this year," he said.
Schlicher thanked council for its support in getting the MAC opened up. He said he put signup sheets for people to sign up to volunteer and raise money for the MAC. The announcement was met by applause from those attending the meeting, who filled almost every chair in the room.
Schlicher did not share details of the plan during the meeting.
The MAC saga started when Schlicher announced during a public performance audit meeting on April 11 that the city had begun implementing cost saving measures. He then announced "we are making the hard decision to not open the aquatic center for the year 2024." Schlicher said during that meeting the MAC had lost money the last two years and it was projected to lose money this year as well.
Schlicher previously said the city pays Professional Pool Management $200,000 a year to manage the pool including running concessions, payroll, admissions, etc., and they get a portion of the admissions revenue. He said the city gets a portion of the revenue, around $100,000 a year and covers pool maintenance and utilities, including an electric bill of $25,000 last year and which is expected to rise 20% in the future.
Schlicher told the Times Monday he was looking for a nonprofit or other organization to run the MAC in exchange for all concessions profits and a portion of admissions revenue, with the city paying utilities and heavy maintenance costs that are expected to be $20,000 a year. The MAC closure announcement garnered negative reactions from the community and council. Devola resident Joelle Cornett started a petition on Facebook to keep the MAC open, which received 3,542 signatures by Monday afternoon. Council issued a media release Wednesday stating the closure announcement was a surprise to council and stating the city spent $192,750 on replacing the pool finish.
Council implored Schlicher to reconsider the closure. Schlicher responded to council's statement, stating that his administration are the ones who replaced the pool finish and they are committed to maintaining the pool and keeping it open.
Michelle Dillon can be reached at mdillon@newsandsentinel.com