West Virginia reports no new COVID-19 deaths; active cases drop
CHARLESTON — Active cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus continued to drop in West Virginia, according to the latest numbers released on Thursday by the Department of Health and Human Resources.
No confirmed deaths from the virus were reported in the 24-hour period from Wednesday to Thursday morning, the department said.
Active cases were at 6,318, the lowest since Nov. 5. Hospitalizations were at 193 patients, the lowest since October, with 57 people in an intensive care unit and 22 on ventilators. Peak hospitalizations was 818 in the first week of January.
The state has fully vaccinated 202,401 residents.
Vaccination clinics across the state continue this week. The local schedule is:
* Calhoun County, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Calhoun Middle/High School – Front Loop, 50 Underwood Circle, Mt. Zion.
* Doddridge County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Doddridge County High School Technical Center, 65 Doddridge County School Road, West Union.
* Gilmer County, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Sue Morris Sports Complex, 1294 U.S. Highway 33E, Glenville.
* Jackson County, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Jackson County Armory, 8832 Pt. Pleasant Road, Millwood.
* Wetzel and Tyler counties, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., United Methodist Church – New Martinsville, 10 Howard Jeffers Drive, New Martinsville.
* Wood County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., South Parkersburg Baptist Church, 1655 Blizzard Drive; 9 a.m.-5 p.m., WVU-Camden Clark Medical Center, Medical Office Building B, 705 Garfield Ave.
* Wood County, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., South Parkersburg Baptist Church, 1655 Blizzard Drive, Parkersburg.
Residents can pre-register for a vaccination at vaccinate.wv.gov. The state on Wednesday announced it will begin vaccinating residents 50 and older, a drop from the 65 and older, teachers and school personnel 40 and older, and residents with medical conditions.
Total doses administered per county in the region and by percentage of population are: Doddridge, 2,840, 33.6; Pleasants, 2,127, 28.5; Calhoun, 1,968, 27.7; Gilmer, 2,144, 27.4; Wirt, 1,538, 26.4; Roane, 3,475, 25.4; Tyler, 1,991, 23.2; Ritchie, 2,201, 23; Jackson, 6,192, 21.7; Wood, 16,622, 19.9.
Virus statistics for local counties by number active and total deaths: Calhoun, 10, 0; Doddridge, 19, 6; Gilmer, 13, 8; Jackson, 29, 50; Pleasants, 11, 17; Ritchie, 12, 9; Roane, 9, 7; Tyler, 39, 4; Wirt, 11, 2; Wood, 205, 131.