Two Wood County deaths among COVID-19 totals
CHARLESTON — Eight additional confirmed deaths including two people from Wood County were reported Monday by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
Statewide, the number of confirmed deaths from the virus since the pandemic began in March is 1,784 as of Monday, the state said in its Monday morning update. Since the pandemic began, 179 people from Wood, Wirt, Jackson, Tyler, Wetzel, Calhoun, Doddridge, Roane, Ritchie and Pleasants counties have been confirmed to have died from the virus, 43 in the last week.
Confirmed deaths for the 24-hour period between Sunday and Monday mornings were an 85-year-old man from Upshur County, a 57-year-old woman from Wood County, a 57-year-old man from Upshur County, a 35-year-old man from Wood County, a 96-year-old woman from Brooke County, an 81-year-old woman from Hancock County, a 58-year-old man from Morgan County and a 70-year-old man from Monongalia County.
Condolences were issued by department Secretary Bill J. Crouch.
“As a state, we share in the sorrow of all who have lost a loved one to COVID-19, and promise to continue striving toward ending this pandemic,” Crouch said.
The number of positive test results increased 988 in the period between Sunday and Monday with active cases totaling 26,777, the state said. The daily positivity rate is 6.19 percent and the cumulative is 5.49 percent.
The state has fully vaccinated 23,092 people. Of the 132,700 first doses received, 130,600 have been administered. Of the 28,275 second doses received, 23,092 second doses have been administered.
Local county statistics:
* Calhoun: 36 active cases, 152 recovered, 168 cumulative confirmed, 20 cumulative probable, 5,776 tests, 0 deaths.
* Doddridge: 74 active, 287 recovered, 274 cumulative confirmed, 91 cumulative probable, 4,796 tests, 4 deaths.
* Gilmer: 43 active, 485 recovered, 443 cumulative confirmed, 91 cumulative probable, 7,638 tests, 6 deaths.
* Jackson: 196 active, 1,250 recovered, 1,336 cumulative confirmed, 152 cumulative probable, 21,522 tests, 42 deaths.
* Pleasants: 64 active, 646 recovered, 612 cumulative confirmed, 109 cumulative probable, 6,139 tests, 11 deaths.
* Ritchie: 80 active, 409 recovered, 411 cumulative confirmed, 86 cumulative probable, 6,932 tests, 8 deaths.
* Roane: 67 active, 330 recovered, 365 cumulative confirmed, 38 cumulative probable, 12,363 tests, 6 deaths.
* Tyler: 124 active, 365 recovered, 324 cumulative confirmed, 168 cumulative probable, 6,409 tests, 3 deaths.
* Wetzel: 168 active, 699 recovered, 523 cumulative confirmed, 361 cumulative probable, 10,214 tests, 17 deaths.
* Wirt: 42 active, 250 recovered, 230 cumulative confirmed, 63 cumulative probable, 3,438 tests, 1 death.
* Wood: 783 active, 5,243 recovered, 4,589 cumulative confirmed, 1,518 probable, 71,139 tests, 81 deaths.