PHS boys soccer falls to University, 5-1

Photo by Jay W. Bennett Parkersburg's Logan Henthorn runs with University's Greer Lambert during the Hawks' 5-1 victory Thursday night at Stadium Field.

PARKERSBURG – University keeper Timmy Bailey was unable to record his fourth shutout of the season here Thursday night at Stadium Field, but the Hawks found the back of the net thrice in the first half en route to a 5-1 triumph versus Parkersburg.

The Big Reds of first-year head man Billy Shedd will carry a 6-8-3 record into their Class AAA sectional opener come 6:30 p.m. Monday at Ripley.

A mere 2:29 into the match, the Hawks were able to beat red and white keeper Caleb Thomas for an early lead. Kellen Adams was unmarked and scored via Riley Nett’s seventh assist of the campaign.

Logan Henthorn, thanks to some dribbling and a pass from Caden Rogers, was able to get a shot on goal for the hosts at the end of the ninth minute.

Nett was looking for a goal in the 18th minute, but JT Ohler was able to deflect his shot.

Photo by Jay W. Bennett Parkersburg's Tanner Minnite sends the ball down the field while University's Charlie Walker looks on during Thursday's match at Stadium Field. The Hawks won, 5-1.

The Big Reds managed to apply some pressure before Charlie Walker tallied his sixth goal of the season from a J.M. Jones assist with 11:11 remaining in the first half.

In the 23rd minute, Big Red Connor Gribble had a deep throw-in that went just long for Landon Shedd. A throw by Rogers in the 24th minute just missed a hustling Tanner Marlow as Bailey was there to scoop up the ball. Marlow and Kota Butcher tried to connect for some offense early in the 29th minute, but defender Isaac Lewis was able to clear which led to a counterattack and the 2-0 advantage.

Despite trailing 2-0, Terrance Wright soon followed with a shot on goal, but couldn’t beat Bailey.

In the 36th minute, Nett blasted a low lined shot from around 20 yards on the right hash inside the left post for his team-leading 13th goal.

PHS was able to answer 19 ticks into the 38th minute when Rogers’ cross was controlled off the chest by a sprinting Tristan Brogan, who settled it and then blasted it into the back of the net.

Rogers had the Big Reds’ initial corner kick in the waning seconds of the first half, but nothing materialized. Parkersburg’s other corner also was taken by Rogers in the 73rd minute, but Bailey jumped out and grabbed it.

During the 44th minute of play, Jones collected his sixth assist for the now 6-1-1 Hawks of head coach Michael Smith as Nett scored again. PHS fell behind 5-1 just 64 seconds later when Nett assisted on Garret Scardina’s second goal of the year.

The Big Reds tried to get something going with a through from Rogers to Henthorn in the 65th minute, but Lewis was able to kick it out of bounds.

University, which held a 7-2 edge in corner kicks but failed to score off any of them, also got a save by Bailey in the 71st minute on a Rogers free kick from 36 yards away.

Contact Jay Bennett at jbennett@newsandsentinel.com


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today