Warren, Quakers settle for 2-2 tie

Photo by Jordan Holland Warren’s Sophie Cochran (13) controls the ball as New Philadelphia’s Miranda Jagunic (18) defends during a high school girls soccer match Saturday in Vincent. The teams tied, 2-2.

VINCENT — Warren held a lead twice during Saturday afternoon’s girls soccer match against New Philadelphia, but both times the Quakers were able to find the equalizer and force a 2-2 tie.

“It was a very evenly matched game,” said Warren head coach Andy Pinkerton. “Both teams put together some pretty strong attacks. Just couldn’t finish as much as we wanted to. They had two quality players, No. 10 (Audrey Harr) and No. 5 (Lauryn Contini). They really gave us some fits. We did a good job in the first half limiting their opportunities. In the second half they got two behind us. Luckily we were able to get two of our own to equalize.”

Warren struck first just a minute and 10 seconds into the match. Sophie Cochran’s shot on goal was blocked by Quaker keeper Marilynn Stokey, but Payton Alloway was there to gather the deflection and put it into the back of the net for a 1-0 Warren lead.

Harr responded in the 10th minute with the first of her two goals on the afternoon. There was nothing Warren keeper Millie Ryan could do as Harr perfectly placed a shot to the upper left section of the net, making it 1-1.

“She’s a high quality player,” Pinkerton said of Harr. “We knew she was going to be good coming in. I think we just kind of allowed her to hold the ball a little bit too long.”

Just a slight relaxation (on defense) allowed that opening for her shot. It’s something we will work on and improve for next time we play them.”

It remained 1-all until the 68th minute when New Philadelphia’s Corinne Shimek was called for a handball in the box, setting up a Warren penalty kick. Macie Smith took the shot, and her kick to the ride side of the net was well beyond the reach of a diving Tori Kaiser, who played between the pipes in the second half for the Quakers. With that, Warren held a 2-1 advantage with 12:49 to play.

Warren nearly made it 3-1 at the 11:40 mark, but Alloway’s strike was corralled by Kaiser.

Then, with 7:13 left on the clock, Harr struck again with another unassisted goal to make it 2-2. From there, neither team could find the back of the net before the final horn blew.

Warren took 12 shots on goal in the match but the Quakers rejected 10 — six by Kaiser and four by Stokey.

“First half we just kind of played the ball more in space versus trying to work the ball together,” Pinkerton said. “Second half, we started putting a little bit more dangerous attacks together by working together and letting the ball do a lot of the work instead of us just chasing it like we did in the first half.

“That was only our third game with no preseason games or anything. Our fitness still isn’t where it should be at this point because we just haven’t had games. All of that stuff is going to improve throughout the year.”

The Quakers, who had four shots on goal, two of which were saved by Ryan, saw their record go to 1-3-1.

“Both teams played well,” said NPHS head coach Brian Rutunno.

“Just a lot of us hustle from my players up there.”

Warren is back in action Thursday at Dover. The Warriors were scheduled to play Marietta last Thursday but it was postponed to Oct. 8.

“This is a definitely a much tougher conference schedule than we’ve played in a long time,” Pinkerton said of the East Central Ohio League. “There for a couple years we didn’t have a conference to play in. There’s really not too much of an easy team to be able to relax against in this league.”

Jordan Holland can be reached at jholland@mariettatimes.com.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today