Summer Smackdown 2 is a success

Boxing event witnesses good turnout

Photos by Jay W. Bennett In an all-Parkersburg amateur boxing showdown Saturday night during Summer Smackdown 2, Austin Maxwell, left, won via unanimous decision against Austin Crouch.

PARKERSBURG — Ryan Carroll started Saturday night’s Summer Smackdown 2 with a knockout and Morgantown’s Tyler Magee closed it with one himself on the Dawghouse Promotions’ event held at the Gough Hazard.

Carroll, of Williamstown, scored a first round TKO at 1:48 to defeat Parkersburg’s Steven Whitehair in a pro welterweight match as the show got underway with plenty of sunlight shining on the ring.

Former two-time Toughman victors Haley Bishop of Bridgeport and Hailey Pennington of Huntington were up next and they didn’t disappoint. Although Pennington had lost previously to Bishop, she was ready for the rematch and a shot at the Dawghouse Promotions (DHP) women’s welterweight title.

Pennington got a solid early shot on Bishop to open the fight, but the Bridgeport native stayed busy throughout. Even after Pennington started the third round by landing some hard shots, Bishop continued to battle until the end and won via a split decision.

In an all-Parkersburg showdown, Austin Maxwell knocked down Austin Crouch once in the first round and did it again in the third en route to a unanimous decision.

Ripley's Joel Baker connects on a punch against Johnny McAllister Saturday night during Summer Smackdown 2. The pair were making their pro debuts and the cruiserweight showdown ended in a no contest.

Up next was the much anticipated pro debuts of Ripley’s Joel Baker and Follansbee’s Johnny McAllister.

They each went toe-to-toe, trading blows, and after Baker settled down early in the first round, it looked like he might get a knockdown as time was quickly evaporating in the opening round of their cruiserweight match. With McAllister appearing to be a little dazed, Baker continued his onslaught, but just as the bell rang Baker proceeded to give McAllister one more shot. It was ruled below the belt and since McAllister couldn’t make it out for the second round, the fight was ruled a no contest.

“I’m disappointed man,” admitted the Jackson County lawyer shortly after his fight. “He wouldn’t have made it another minute. He was done. He was lucky that shot landed what they said was below the belt.

“I should’ve jumped on him sooner. I didn’t realize how hurt he was. I felt good. I wanted to settle down the second round, but it felt good and I want to do it again and get back in there.”

The lone amateur kickboxing match pitted Parkersburg’s Zach Hardman against Jeremy Hinkle of Cumberland, Maryland. Hinkle was able to execute with both his hands and feet. When he landed a kick to the side of Hardman’s jaw, Hinkle celebrated as the match was stopped for a second round TKO at 1:37.

Another fighter from Maryland, Frostburg’s Jack Wickline was paired against Morgantown’s Tom Kizer in a DHP light heavyweight title fight.

Wickline came out hard and actually put Kizer to the canvas in the first round, but Kizer seemed to shift into a different mode after that. In round two, Kizer used a punishing shot to the midsection, which put Wickline down. Soon thereafter, Kizer got Wickline on the ropes and just had a flurry of blows. The bout was stopped at 2:11 of the second as Kizer improved to 15-3 as an amateur following the TKO.

Parkersburg’s Derick Hamrick was unable to withstand Jeffery Mycek’s continued assault in the opening round. Mycek, who is from Newport, Delaware, had his arm raised after Hamrick was unable to answer the bell for round two.

In what turned out to be the lone MMA match, Clay County’s Nathan Gill nearly made it the distance versus Parkersburg’s Matt Tennant in the DHP bantamweight title fight. Although Gill was able to land a nasty early leg kick, Tennant followed that by getting a takedown and controlling Gill throughout the opening round.

After Tennant was able to get a solid shot to the face late in the first, the ex-Big Red started the second round with another takedown. Despite Gill managing to get back to his feet, Tennant yet again took him down and was able to get some ground and pound while dominating the match. With just 13 seconds to go in round three, Tennant managed to lock in a rear naked choke and won after Gill tapped out.

“At the end of the third round I could really feel him starting to break,” admitted Tennant, who is hoping to fight in September at the Mountaineer Casino. “There was even a point where he covered up into the fetal position. I think he wanted it to end and I put him in the rear naked choke. He went straight to the doctor.”

Tennant also was more than happy to give some props to his coach — Ryan Carroll.

“It means everything,” Tennant added. “I’ve had him in my corner before I ever started fighting. I couldn’t ask for a better teacher. You name it and he can help me with it.”

The main event featured Wes Hanson of Charleston taking the fight on short notice as he put his 1-1 mark on the line against fellow welterweight Coty Wilson of Fairmont.

Wilson, who fights out of the Tommy Thomas Boxing Club, got to work quick and put Hanson down in the first round. Wilson continued to push forward and applied pressure in round two before putting Hanson down on a knee in the third. The Herbert Hoover grad Hanson wasn’t allowed the chance to get back up after that as the ref stopped the fight at 2:36 of the third. Wilson improved to 5-1 with his TKO.

Three of the final four matches of the card also featured DHP titles.

In what was a more than competitive showdown, it was anyone’s fight going into round three, but Gallipolis’ Noah Silas scored a split decision triumph versus fellow Buckeye Ronald Harrison of Coal Grove. Silas was able to rebound from Harrison’s busy first round to take home the DHP welterweight belt.

Elizabeth’s George Brown, who had his daughter join him in the ring following his victory, won the DHP junior welterweight belt when he scored a TKO at 0:54 of the second round versus Ritchie Loew of Bellaire, Ohio. Brown took control of the fight in the first round thanks to a crippling rib shot he landed on Loew.

Wheeling’s Abhay Horvath upped his amateur record to 4-0 following a first round TKO in 1:03 of Parkersburg’s Austin Sprouse. Horvath won the DHP middleweight belt due in large part to getting Sprouse on the ropes, which led to the stoppage.

Parkersburg’s Aaron Moore had a fiery start in his match versus Magee, but Moore couldn’t keep the pace going. In fact, Magee won his debut when he had consecutive shots to the face of Moore, which put him down for the count as the match ended via TKO in 1:44.

Contact Jay Bennett at jbennett@newsandsentinel.com