WILLIAMSTOWN - No one was injured when a chimney fire broke out in a 166-year-old house in the 200 block of Second Street in Williamstown Monday afternoon.
Bernard Richards and his fiancee, Lori Miller, were inside the house when the blaze began around 4 p.m.
"We had built a fire in the fireplace, but it was hard to get it going," Richards said. "There was just a little smoke in the living room."
Photo by Sam Shawver
Firefighters hose down a chimney fire that damaged a 166-year-old house in the 200 block of Second Street in Williamstown Monday afternoon.
Williamstown Firefighter Paul Jordan said a passer-by apparently saw fire coming out of the roof near one of the home's two chimneys and notified the fire department.
"There were some flames coming out from under the eaves at the back of the house when we arrived," he said. "But two crews went inside and were able to keep the fire confined to the attic."
Jordan said there was some concern that the fire might work its way down into the walls of the house, so firefighters remained at the scene into the evening, and the power company was notified to shut off electricity to the structure.
CSX Transportation was notified to delay any trains bound for Williamstown as the railroad tracks run along Second Street directly in front of the house, and fire trucks were parked on the narrow street on both sides of the tracks.
Richards, who has resided in the house for 27 years, said the two-story brick house was built in 1847 and contained five fireplaces.
A firefighter said he saw some creosote built up in one of the chimneys. A cause of the fire has not been determined.
The amount of damage was not known Monday.
Two units from the Marietta Fire Department also responded to the blaze.