At last year's Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner we had the honor to recognize and award 10 area businesses and individuals for their accomplishments over the past year. It's time to once again submit nominations for the following Chamber awards:
* New Business of the Year
* Curb Appeal / Property Improvement Award
* Community-Involvement Award
* Family-Owned / Home-Based Business of the Year
* Nonprofit Organization of the Year
* Woman- / Minority-Owned Business of the Year
* Small Business of the Year
* Chamber Volunteer of the Year
* Young Business Leader of the Year
* Business Person of the Year
We have so many great businesses, organizations and individuals in our community and we are delighted at the opportunity to recognize many of them. Seven of the awards recognize businesses and organizations; three of the awards recognize individual leaders.
If you would like to submit a nomination, please go to our website at www.movchamber.org and download a nomination form. Self-nominations are also accepted. The most important part of the nomination form is to provide a short narrative to the judging panel about why you are nominating the business/individual for the award.
The deadline for submissions is Oct. 22. Please note the judging panel will give preference to Chamber members in reviewing the nominations. The most current member listing can be found on our website under "Member Directory" if you want to review whether your nominee is a member of our Chamber.
As a reminder, here are last year's winners for each category.
* New Business of the Year: National College
* Curb Appeal / Property Improvement Award: Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law
* Community-Involvement Award: Results Radio
* Family-Owned / Home-Based Business of the Year: EPI Insulators
* Non-Profit Organization of the Year: Our Community's Foundation
* Woman- / Minority-Owned Business of the Year: Alice Harris, CPA
* Small Business of the Year: Crown Event Rentals
* Chamber Volunteer of the Year: Valerie Curtis (Personnel Temporary Services)
* Young Business Leader of the Year: Lindsey Anderson (United Bank)
* Business Person of the Year: Cecil Childress (The Blennerhassett Hotel)
On-line registration is available at www.movchamber.org or call the Chamber at 304.422.3588.
* October Lunch & Learn, Oct. 12, 11:30 a.m. -1 p.m., WV Association for Justice, WV Central Credit Union, 809 Division Street, Parkersburg
* October Business After Hours, Oct. 16, 5-7 p.m., Pickering Associates, 11283 Emerson Ave., Parkersburg
* October Lunch Mob, Oct. 17, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Burger King, 514 Division St., Parkersburg
* October Lunch & Learn, Oct. 19, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Pars Brain & Spine Institute,WV Central Credit Union, 809 Division St., Parkersburg
* Candidate Forum with the League of Women Voters, Oct. 22, 7-9 p.m.,Judge Black Annex, 315 Market St., Parkersburg. The following candidates are being invited by the League of Women Voters:
U.S. House of Representatives, 1st District, David McKinley and Sue Thorn
State Senate, District 3, Donna Boley
State House of Delegates, District 8, Bill Anderson and Denzil Malone
State House of Delegates, District 9, Anna Border and Jim Marion
State House of Delegates, District 10, Tom Azinger, John Ellem, Fred Gillespie and Dan Poling
Wood County Commission, David Couch and Harry Deitzler
* Chamber Annual Dinner & Awards Banquet, Nov. 8, 5-8 p.m., The Parkersburg Art Center.
Visit this space every other Sunday for more Chamber news. We also invite you to call us at 304-422-3588, email us at email@example.com, or stop by the Chamber office at 409 1/2 Market St., Parkersburg.
Jill Parsons is president and CEO of the Chamber of Commerce of the Mid-Ohio Valley.