The economic, cultural and governmental center of the Mid-Ohio Valley, Parkersburg is located at the confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha rivers.Total Households: 14,467
The area around Parkersburg is home to several large companies that produce chemical, glass, plastic and steel products. The largest, Dupont, employees approximately 2,400 area residents.
First chartered in 1820, the city is named for Alexander Parker, who owned the land on which the town is laid out. Parker purchased the land in 1783 for $50. Parkersburg became the county seat for Wood County in 1800. The town was laid out in 1811, with lots being sold for the next 32 years.
Parkersburg’s location always has been a transportation hub, first with the river, then later with the railroads. The close proximity to Interstate 77 and U.S. 50 today affords people traveling to and from Parkersburg with reliable 4-lane access in all directions.
Today the city of Parkersburg has a land mass of 10.65 square miles, with nearly 200 miles of streets.
Form of government
The city government of Parkersburg has a mayor and nine council members. They all serve concurrent four-year terms.
The city has full-time fire and police departments. It also operates its own water department, sewage treatment plant and garbage collection service.
Fast facts- 2000 Census Data