Finding things to do in downtown Parkersburg
Fall is a great time to get outdoors and explore the beauty of downtown Parkersburg. There are opportunities for the whole family to take advantage of, some at little to no cost.
* Get out Your Walking Shoes — When was the last time you parked your car and went exploring in downtown Parkersburg? Downtown has some beautiful buildings with unique architecture. It is also an opportunity to locate our selfie stations. There is six total. Snap a picture by the trolley, real in the big catfish, or flex your muscles. The locations for each selfie station are: 1) side of the Greater Parkersburg Convention and Visitors Bureau (350 7th Street) 2) 6th Street side of the 531 Market Street building 3) front of the former Point Park Marketplace building (113 Ann Street) 4) side of Wood County Society (317 E 8th Street) 5) side of Excessive Iron (810 Market Street) 6) side of Maka Mia Pizza (327 Juliana Street)
* Take a Stroll Back in Time — Take a day to explore the beauty of the many historic homes in the Julia-Ann Square Historic District with a self-guided walking tour. Many of us drive by these homes in our travels without noticing the unique architecture that each of the homes displays. Pick up a tour map from a white newspaper box on the corner of 9th and Juliana Street.
* Enjoy a Picnic in the Park — Try packing up your favorite lunch or dinner options from home or one of our many downtown eateries and enjoy the outdoors at a picnic table in Bicentennial Park or sit and enjoy the boats buzzing by at Point Park. Either location would be a great place to enjoy a meal with your family.
* Explore our Past — Make plans to take a relaxing Sternwheel ride over to historic Blennerhassett Island and take a step back in time among the peaceful sycamore trees. Tours run to the island Wednesday through Sunday, departing from Point Park at 11 a.m. and continuing every hour until 3 p.m. Boats return on the half-hour until 4:30 p.m. For more information or tickets, call (304) 420-4800.
* Experience the Arts — If you’ve never experienced the Parkersburg Art Center, now is your chance. Their galleries and gift shop are open from Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. They also offer classes and host events for many ages. Give them a call at (304) 485-3859 for more information.
* Fun with Friends — If you’ve been missing your social time with friends, you’re in luck. Plan an evening with friends at a downtown establishment. Grab drinks on the patio at the Blennerhassett Hotel or The Cocktail Bar? For a complete list of places you can savor the many flavors of our family-owned restaurants in downtown, visit our website at downtownpkb.com.
While you’re out and about in downtown, don’t forget to save your receipts for our #ShopPKB local spending campaign. Check out our website for more information about places to visit and where to park while in downtown.
Jessica Strickler is the events and marketing manager of Downtown PKB.