Partners in Education Luncheon set for May 14
Not a day goes by in the Chamber world that there isn’t some kind of connection or discussion about the relationship between the business community and our education system. And no activity is more visible than the Partner in Education program when it comes to the partnership between education, business and the Chamber.
A strong education system enables business to recruit and keep key employees. A strong education system produces great talent that eventually become valuable employees. A strong education system says that the community values lifelong learning.
Did you know that in Wood County the Partner in Education program was a Chamber initiative? Did you know that our Partner in Education program was one of the first to be launched in West Virginia, back in 1985? Did you know that Wood County was the first county in the State to have partners for 100% of its schools?
Each of the 27 public schools, the 1 technical center, one 1 adult education center and the 4 private schools in Wood County have at least ONE business partner. Some schools have several business partners. And each year since 1986 we have held an annual luncheon to celebrate the power of the partnerships.
On Tuesday, May 14 the MOV Chamber will host the 34th Annual Partner in Education luncheon from 11:30am – 1:30pm at WVU-Parkersburg.
The listing below is the current roster of school/business partnerships for Wood County. Is your business listed? Are you active as a partner? Every partnership is unique – some businesses are able to help out on a financial level and others are able to help out with people and resources for activities. The luncheon would be a great event to reinvigorate that relationship! Like strategic plans and budgets, you must constantly “pull the relationship off the shelf” and evaluate the ways to get involved and make sure it is meeting both parties’ expectations. If you are an employee at one of these companies below, are you aware of the partner activities with your school? If not, what a great opportunity to get involved and bring the partnership back to life! A partnership without action is a partnership in name only (and sadly that doesn’t serve either party fairly.)
The Partner in Education liaison for each business partner will receive the luncheon reservation form via email this week. You can also access the reservation link on our website at www.movchamber.org Each school’s Business Partner is asked to help offset the cost of the luncheon so that 2 students, 2 school representatives and 2 business representatives attend on behalf of each partnership. The cost is $175 for the 6 attendees. Additional attendees are $25/person. The deadline to make your reservation is Wednesday, May 8.
And if your business/organization would like to learn more about becoming a formal Partner in Education with one of the schools in Wood County listed below, please contact us at the MOV Chamber office to start that discussion.
* Blennerhassett Elementary: Peoples Bank — Division Street, Wal-Mart South Parkersburg
* Criss Elementary: Astorg Motors, Huntington Bank, Lowe’s of Wood County
* Emerson Elementary: Huntington Bank, Wendy’s
* Fairplains Elementary: Parkersburg-Marietta Building and Construction Trades, Peoples Bank, Wal-Mart South Parkersburg, Peoples Cartage
* Franklin Elementary: Highmark WV, Gihon Elementary, Hardee’s, Office Depot, One Community Credit Union
* Greenmont Elementary: United Bank, Jefferson Elementary, Camden Clark Medical Center, Wharton Auto Group
* Kanawha Elementary: Manager’s Resource Group, Tri-State Roofing and Sheet Metal
* Lubeck Elementary: BB&T, Northwest Pipe Company
* Madison Elementary: Belk, Mountain River Physical Therapy, Waste Management
* Martin Elementary: Bosley Rental and Supply, Dudley’s, Peoples Bank — Patriot Center,
* McKinley Elementary: Bureau of Public Debt, Community Bank of Parkersburg
* Mineral Wells Elementary: First Settlement Physical Therapy, Somerville Industries
* Neale Elementary: Grand Central Mall, Hardee’s of Vienna, Huntington Bank: Wendy’s
* North Christian School: Amanda Buckley Imaging, Biztec, Murray Sheet Metal, Scot’s Landscape Nursery, WaterWorks
* Parkersburg Catholic Elementary: Ohio Valley Health Care, Smith Orthodontics
* Vienna Elementary: Burger King, First Neighborhood Bank, Sam’s Club
* Waverly Elementary: Davis Pickering & Associates, Murray Sheet Metal
* Williamstown Elementary: Hino Motors, Williamstown Bank
* Worthington Elementary: Woodcraft Supply, Worthington Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
* Blennerhassett Middle: Home Depot, Kuraray, MedExpress
* Edison Middle: Frontier Communications, West Virginia Central Credit Union
* Hamilton Middle: Pickering Associates, WEE Federal Credit Union
* Jackson Middle: Highmark WV, Mister Bee Potato Chip Co.
* Parkersburg Catholic High: Camden Clark Medical Center, Mountain River Physical Therapy, Wood County Rotary Club
* Parkersburg High: The Blennerhassett Hotel, DuPont Washington Works, Kona Ice of the MOV
* Parkersburg South High: Chemours, Pepsi Cola
* VanDevender Middle: Mountain State College, WesBanco Bank
* Williamstown High: Da Vinci’s Restaurant, Fenton Foundation, Wells Fargo Advisors
* Wood County Christian: Emerson Avenue Burger King
* Wood County Technical Center/Caperton Center: CAS Cable, D&R Heating & Cooling
* Adult Basic Education: American National University, Rotary Club of Parkersburg
Visit this space every other Sunday for more Chamber news. We also invite you to call us at 304-422-3588, email us at email@example.com, or stop by the Chamber office at 501 Avery Street, 9th Floor in Parkersburg.