ATHENS — The following reports were released by the Athens County Sheriff’s Office on March 9:
* Deputies and emergency responders responded to Gun Club Road, New Marshfield, for a man advising he had been in an altercation and was struck in the head with a hammer and pepper sprayed by another man. The victim advised that the man ran off after the assault.
* A Millfield resident reported misuse of his credit card. The resident stated that an acquaintance filed for a lost card and took $1,000 without his consent.
* Deputies were dispatched to Selby Road for a possible breaking and entering that occurred a few days prior.
* Deputies responded to Chesser Road in Albany for a report of a theft.
* While on patrol in Troy Township, the Criminal Interdiction Unit made contact with a vehicle parked near the boat ramp. A man stated he was in possession of drug paraphernalia. Upon searching the man, an ounce of suspected methamphetamine was located. Upon searching the vehicle, several items of drug paraphernalia were located to include several baggies, digital scales and a pipe. Jaymes Ratliff, 31, formerly of Stockport, was placed under arrest for possession for a controlled substance (methamphetamine), a second-degree felony, and transported to the regional jail.
* Deputies took a report of an elderly man of South Canaan Road, Athens, walking away from his residence. Upon arrival deputies made contact with the male’s daughter who advised that he suffers from dementia and still believes that they live in Columbus, Ohio. The man, who has walked away before, was found uninjured and taken to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital for a medical evaluation.
* Deputies were dispatched to The Plains for a report of an assault. Upon speaking with the complainants, deputies noted no sign of physical injury. Deputies then made contact with the alleged suspect who provided a different account. A witness was found to have an active warrant for his arrest. He was placed under arrest and transported to Washington County. With a lack of physical evidence in this case, it is considered closed.
* Deputies were called to Beech Road in The Plains for a report of a stolen vehicle.
* Deputies received a report of a fight at a residence in Waterloo Township. Deputies responded to the residence and spoke with the involved parties. No one wanted to pursue criminal charges.
* Deputies were dispatched to a South Canaan Road residence about an 80-year-old man with dementia who was missing. The man was located by a neighbor about half a mile from his residence in good health.
* Deputies responded to Penn Street in Glouster for a report of an ATV accident. Deputies determined the accident occurred on the roadway. The Ohio State Highway Patrol was called to the scene and took over the scene.
* Deputies assisted the U.S. Marshal Service in locating a male subject with a warrant at a Glouster residence. Cory M. Shockley, 30, of Glouster was located and arrested on the warrant.
ATHENS — Athens County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports March 10:
* Deputies took a report of theft from a resident on Happy Hollow Road in Nelsonville. The resident’s State Tax checks were taken from her residence and were cashed in the City of Nelsonville. The case is under investigation.
* Deputies responded to Perry Ridge Road area on a subject with a gun. Caller stated the person in control of the firearm was pointing at persons inside the residence. On deputies arrival to the residence, the subject fled into the woods on foot. Contact was not made with this subject. On deputies returning to the scene and speaking with the resident, it was found no one wished to give a statement or to pursue the issue. A report was taking on the incident and an investigation is pending.
* Deputies took a theft report from AEP substation on Elm Rock Road. Deputy was advised that some time over the weekend unknown person(s) entered the property and stole several items from a shed. The case is under investigation.
* Deputies were called to Hilltop Lane, Glouster, to assist Jacksonville Fire Department with a brush fire. The fire was extinguished prior to deputies arrival. Photos of the area were collected. Case is under further investigation.
* Deputies received an automated alarm from the old Chauncey Elementary School. Deputies responded to the scene and checked the building. It was found to be secure at that time.
ATHENS — Athens County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports on March 11:
The following are incidents reported to the sheriff’s office on March 10:
* Deputies took a report of an assault by phone. The caller advised that her stepdaughter had been assaulted by her boyfriend. The caller advised that her stepdaughter did not want to purse any criminal charges but she wanted to have the incident documented.
* While on patrol, deputies with the Criminal Interdiction Unit observed a female attempting to hide. Upon making contact with the female, deputies learned she had an active warrant for her arrest. Amanda Zeigler, 30, of Athens, was placed under arrest and transported to SEORJ. Additional charges are expected.
* Deputies took a report in reference to a theft. This case remains under investigation.
* While deputies were on patrol in the Nelsonville area, the Criminal Interdiction Units observed Gage Washington, 26, of Glouster, in the front seat of a vehicle at McDonald’s. Deputies along with the Nelsonville Police Department made contact with the vehicle and arrested Washington on two outstanding warrants from Athens County. Search incident to his arrest yielded suspected methamphetamine, digital scales and counterfeit $20 bills totaling $540. An odor of marijuana came from the vehicle, and consent to search the vehicle was given. Approximately three ounces of marijuana were located in the vehicle that were seized as evidence and additional charges will be requested through a grand jury indictment.
* A deputy responded to a male subject having mental issues in the Carbondale area. The male was located and stated he was having suicidal thoughts. Subject was transported for evaluation.