MARIETTA — Washington County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports and charges on Sept. 5
* On Aug. 28, a deputy was patrolling Pike Street in Marietta, when he observed a vehicle traveling in the left hand passing lane with no vehicles or obstructions preventing it from being in the right hand lane. A traffic stop was conducted and contact was made with the driver, John Dearing, and his passengers, Darren Farnese, and Kaitlyn Hess. The deputy requested permission to search the vehicle which was granted. As Farnese and Hess exited the passenger side, Hess was observed attempting to kick/slide something on the ground away from her.
A check was done of the area and a small baggie of meth was located. A pat down was conducted on Farnese, recovering a small baggie of meth from his pocket. A search of the vehicle recovered a small metal marijuana pipe in the driver’s door, which Dearing admitted was his. A summons is being requested for John William Dearing, 40, of 653 Johnson Road, Marietta, for illegal use or possession of marijuana paraphernalia. Darren Craig Farnese, 25, of 10 Browns Road, Marietta, was placed under arrest for possession of drugs. Kaitlyn Brianna Hess, 20, of 1107 Cisler Lane, Marietta, was placed under arrest for possession of drugs, possessing drug abuse instruments and drug paraphernalia. Both subjects were transported to the Washington County Jail.
* On Aug. 28, a deputy assisted the Ohio State Highway Patrol in locating a person of interest to their investigation.
* A deputy issued a citation to Matthew K. Burke, age unknown, of 45669 Miller Road, Pomeroy, on Aug. 28 for driving under suspension.
* A deputy was patrolling Muskingum Drive, Marietta, on Aug. 28 when he observed a white truck bearing Ohio registration commit a traffic violation. A traffic stop was conducted and contact was made with the driver, James Kidd. While speaking with Kidd, a vapor pen was observed on the console, and he was asked if there was anything illegal in it, at which time he stated there was not. K9 Rita was run around the vehicle, during which she gave a positive indication on the driver’s door. Kidd indicated the dog was hitting on the vape pen, which he indicated had THC oil in it. The pen was collected as evidence. A summons was requested for James M. Kidd, 31, of 107 Clark St., Marietta, for possession of drugs.
* On Aug. 29, a lieutenant was dispatched to the Moore’s Junction Par Mar on 17785 State Route 7, Marietta, to a shoplifting complaint. The lieutenant met with store personnel who advised an unknown male subject entered the store and placed a chicken sandwich down the front of his pants, then left the store. Through the course of the investigation, Jeremy G. Merrill was developed as a suspect, and he was located nearby. Merrill admitted to stealing a chicken sandwich from the store and a search of Merrill revealed a small cotton ball inside of a metal bottle cap in his pocket, which Merrill admitted was heroin. Jeremy G. Merrill, 38, of 6047 Elizabeth Pike, Elizabeth, W.Va., was placed under arrest and charged with theft, and aggravated possession of drugs. Merrill was transported to the Washington County Jail.
* On Aug. 30, a deputy, while on patrol, located a male subject walking along Mount Tom Road, with what appeared to be a bottle of beer in his hand. Contact was made with the male, identified as Jay Britton. Britton did have a nearly full bottle of Bud Light beer in his hand. Britton admitted to drinking the beer while he was walking along the roadway, and said he did not realize it was illegal to do so. A summons is being requested for Jay Allen Britton, 25, of 1529 Mount Tom Road, Marietta, for open container of beer or intoxicating liquor prohibited at certain premises.
* On Aug. 30, a deputy responded to 1011 Tadpole Road, Belpre, in reference to Megan Cummings reporting her live-in boyfriend, John Brent Mounce, struck her in the side of the face, causing redness and pain to the area. Cummings stated Mounce held her face down on a pillow and struck her additional times and then left the residence. Cummings then locked the front door, to which Mounce returned and forced the door open, damaging same. Screaming could be heard when the deputy arrived on scene. John Brent Mounce, 23, was placed under arrest for domestic violence and transported to the Washington County Jail.
* On Aug. 30, a lieutenant responded to the ER at the Belpre campus of MMH and met with Ronald Lightfritz. Lightfritz advised he was at his residence at 1706 Calder Ridge Road, Belpre, with Coy Leonard Smallwood. Lightfritz stated Smallwood was making demands, insisting that Lightfritz discuss options with him in reference to his mother’s care. Lightfritz states they were talking and Smallwood became upset and struck Lightfritz with a closed fist. Lightfritz stated he reached for his cordless phone to call the Sheriff’s Office and Smallwood yanked the phone from his hands, breaking it. Lightfritz states Smallwood was stopping him from calling the Sheriff’s Office. A warrant was requested and issued for Coy Leonard Smallwood, 27, of 164 Anderson Road, Fleming, on a charge of assault and disrupting public service.
* On Aug. 30, deputies responded to 1029 Barth Road, Belpre, to a report of a wanted individual being at that location. Jocelyn Whealdon resides at the residence and eventually came to the door. Whealdon advised she did not know where the wanted individual was. When asked if officers could search the residence for him, she said yes. Once in the residence, a deputy asked Whealdon again if the subject was in the residence and she said he was not. After a few minutes, Whealdon stated that she thought he ran out of the residence. The male was located inside a bedroom and was placed under arrest. Jocelyn Louise Whealdon, 29, was placed under arrest for obstructing justice and transported to the Washington County Jail.
* On Aug. 30, a deputy began an investigation in reference to a credit card being used by persons other than the card owner. This case remains under investigation.
The following warrants were processed at the Washington County Sheriff’s Office:
* Coy L Smallwood, 27, of 164 Anderson Road, Fleming, disrupting public service and assault.
* Adrienne E. Ball, age unknown, of 11111 Seneca Lane, Byesville, probation violation.
* Christopher L. Lott, age unknown, of 150 Camelot Road, Belpre, probation violation.
* Terry Lee Whitlock, age unknown, of 1832 Hebron Road, St. Marys, W.Va., probation violation.