ATHENS — Athens County Sheriff’s Department released the following reports on Aug. 29:
* The Criminal Interdiction Unit conducted a traffic stop on U.S. 33 East near Circle 33. Deputies observed drug abuse instruments on the floor of the passenger seat and asked passengers out of the vehicle. A search of the vehicle yielded approximately 1 ounce of suspected methamphetamine, a Taurus .38 Special firearm and other narcotics packaged for sale. A passenger, Steven L. Forgoress, 40, of Amesville was arrested for aggravated possession of drugs, a felony of the second degree, having weapons under disability, a felony of the third degree, and improper handling of a firearm, a felony of the fourth degree. The driver, Sherry Papineau, 38, of Nelsonville, was arrested for aggravated possession of drugs, a felony of the second degree. Seized items are being sent to a lab for testing and additional charges are expected, officials said. Forgoress and Papineau were transported without incident to SEORJ.
* Deputies responded to Mill Street in Chauncey in reference to a garage door that had been forced in. The owner stated a weed trimmer and leaf blower had been stolen.
* Deputies were dispatched to United Lane on a report of a theft. Deputies arrived on scene and a report was taken.
* Deputies received information in regard to the whereabouts of two individuals with active warrants for their arrest. Deputies went to the residence on Sand Rock Rod but had negative contact.
* Deputies took a walk-in report regarding a harassment/menacing incident. Deputies took the initial information and the case is under further investigation.
* Deputies were traveling on U.S. 33 eastbound near State Route 682 in The Plains, when a vehicle was observed traveling at what appeared to be faster than the posted speed limit which was 55 mph. It was verified with radar that the vehicle’s speed was 73 mph. A citation was issued to the driver for speed and driving under suspension.
* Deputies responded to Fourth Street in The Plains for a report of a female sitting in a wheelchair on the roadway. Contact was made with the female and she advised the battery on the wheelchair had died while she was trying to get back to Hickory Creek Nursing Home. Contact was made with staff at Hickory Creek and they responded to the scene to transport the female back to the facility.
ATHENS — Athens County Sheriff’s Department released the following reports Aug. 30:
The following are incident reports for Aug. 29:
* Deputies responded to New England Road for a dog complaint. The caller advised that his neighbor’s dogs kept coming onto his property and going after his young children. Information was taken from both parties. A referral to the Dog Warden’s Office was then completed so the incident could be investigated further.
* Deputies were dispatched to a well-being check of a report of a male subject sleeping beside the building at the Piggly Wiggly in The Plains. Deputies arrived on scene and made contact with the male who was found to be fine. He was found to be homeless and was asked to move along.
* Deputies were dispatched to E. First Street in The Plains on a report of a building entered with items taken being keys to a vehicle and the vehicle was missing. An investigation is pending.
* Deputies responded to Rainbow Lake Road in reference to a dispute. Once on scene it was determined one of the involved parties would benefit from a mental evaluation. The involved party voluntarily went.
* Deputies made contact on Pleasanton Road in Athens with a subject they knew to have an active warrant out of Athens County. Deputies then placed Tyler Barnhart, 18, into custody while his warrant was confirmed. Deputies were then advised that Barnhart’s warrant instructed deputies to release him on the spot on his own recognizance and appear in court the next business day. With no other criminal act present, Barnhart was then released.
* Deputies responded to The Plains in reference to a juvenile problem. The complainant stated she saw a young male trying to pull a sign off of the Athens Administration Building. While units were on scene speaking with her, the suspect came back and stated he wasn’t trying to pull the sign off. He stated they play there all the time and climb on the stairs and the wall. The male juvenile was told to stay off of the property.
* Deputies responded to Bean Road in The Plains for a report of criminal mischief. The complainant stated that they returned home to their residence and observed a window to their vehicle being broken. This case remains under investigation.