Prescription drug Take Back Day collections Saturday
From staff reports
VIENNA — Law enforcement agencies around the region are participating in the National Take Back Day to safely dispose of excess prescription drugs.
A program of the federal Drug Enforcement Agency, Take Back Days are held twice a year in an effort to prevent unused or expired prescription medications from being abused.
The West Virginia Attorney General’s Office is participating at multiple sites around the state, including at the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department.
“I encourage anyone who has unused or unwanted prescription medications to participate in this important event so we can get potentially dangerous drugs off the streets,” Attorney General Patrick Morrisey said. “Take Back Day has the potential to both reduce diversion of prescription opioids and help identify overprescribing in our state. Every container of unused, unwanted and expired medication has the potential of falling into the wrong hands, so safely disposing of these medications is crucial to limiting supply and ending senseless death in West Virginia.”
Collection times are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following locations, according to takebackday.dea.gov:
* Lubeck Volunteer Fire Department, 1340 Harris Highway, Parkersburg.
* Mineral Wells Volunteer Fire Department, 1695 Elizabeth Pike, Mineral Wells.
* Vienna Volunteer Fire Department, 608 28th St., Vienna.
* Waverly Volunteer Fire Department, 15425 Emerson Ave., Waverly.
* Belpre Senior Center parking lot, 1614 Washington Blvd., Belpre.
* Fort Frye High School parking lot, 420 Fifth St., Beverly.
* Newport Volunteer Fire Department, 38350 State Route 7, Newport.
* Second and Putnam streets, Marietta.
* Doddridge County Sheriff’s Department, 135 Court St., West Union.
* West Virginia State Police, Glenville Detachment, 4640 West Virginia Highway 5E, Glenville.
* Ravenswood City Hall, 1 Wall St., Ravenswood.
* Southern Jackson County Volunteer Fire Department, Pleasant Valley and Charleston Road, Kenna.
* Walgreens, 635 W. Main St., Ripley.
* Phillips Pharmacy, 329 Second St., St. Marys.
* New Martinsville Fire Department, 400 Ohio St., New Martinsville.
* Wirt County Sheriff’s Department, 15 Court St., Elizabeth.