Two COVID deaths in Wetzel County
CHARLESTON — Two people from Wetzel County were among the 15 confirmed deaths from the COVID-19 coronavirus reported Wednesday by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
The state reported the deaths of an 86-year-old man and an 85-year-old man from Wetzel. Also confirmed on Wednesday were deaths in Berkeley, Cabell, Putnam, Mercer, Kanawha, Raleigh, Fayette, Grant, Monongalia and Jefferson counties.
The death toll since the pandemic began in March 2020 was at 2,722 on Wednesday.
Active cases of the virus in West Virginia were reported at 6,897, 43 more than on Tuesday. New cases in the 24-hour period from Tuesday to Wednesday mornings were 364.
Active cases of the virus have trended upward since March 12 when from about 5,100 cases.
Active cases in counties in the region (previous day) are: Calhoun, 13 (14); Doddridge, 14 (14); Gilmer, 2 (3); Jackson, 57 (54); Pleasants, 10 (8); Ritchie, 9 (9); Roane, 27 (27); Tyler, 34 (33); Wetzel, 92 (98); Wirt, 5 (4); Wood, 115 (120.)
Hospitalizations are at 271 people, up from 254 on Tuesday, with 84, up from 80, in an intensive care unit and 17 on ventilators.
The state has fully vaccinated 359,706 people.
The number of residents fully vaccinated and percentage of population for other local counties: Calhoun, 1,164, 16.4; Doddridge, 2,356, 27.9; Gilmer, 1,402, 17.9; Jackson, 4,467, 15.6; Pleasants, 1,645, 22.1; Ritchie, 1,858, 19.4; Roane, 2,483, 18.1; Tyler, 1,605, 18.7; Wetzel, 3,593, 23.8; Wirt, 1,077, 18.5; Wood, 12,112, 14.5.
All West Virginians age 16 years and older are encouraged to pre-register for a COVID-19 vaccine through the Vaccine Registration System at www.vaccinate.wv.gov.
Vaccination clinics are scheduled in the region this week.
* Jackson County, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Jackson County Armory, 8832 Point Pleasant Road, Millwood.
* Pleasants County, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Pleasants County Library, 101 Lafayette St., St. Marys.
* Ritchie County, 9 a.m. to noon, Ritchie County 4-H Camp, 4-H Camp Road, Harrisville.
* Roane County, noon to 7 p.m., City of Spencer Armory, Spencer.
* Wood County, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., WVU-Parkersburg Early Learning Center, Parkersburg.
* Calhoun County, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Calhoun Middle/High School — Front Loop, 50 Underwood Circle, Mt. Zion.
* Gilmer County, 8:30 to 10 a.m., Sue Morris Sports Complex, 1294 U.S. 33E, Glenville.
* Jackson County, 1-6 p.m., Jackson County Armory, Millwood.
* Roane County, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., City of Spencer Armory, Spencer.
* Wetzel and Tyler counties, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., United Methodist Church, 10 Howard Jeffers Drive, New Martinsville.
* Wood County, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., South Parkersburg Baptist Church, Parkersburg.
* Roane County, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., City of Spencer Armory, 207 E. Main St., Spencer.