Eight COVID-19 deaths reported; active cases drop
CHARLESTON — Active cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus dropped below 6,500 in West Virginia, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources reported Wednesday morning.
The state also confirmed another eight people died from the virus in the 24-hour period between Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.
Active cases were at 6,451 on Wednesday morning while new cases in the 24-hour period reported on Wednesday were 232. The daily positivity rate is 3.13 percent.
Deaths were confirmed in Lewis, Berkeley, Tucker, Boone, Kanawha, Marion and Monongalia counties, the youngest being a 37-year-old woman from Monongalia, the department said.
Hospitalizations were at 197, the lowest since Oct. 23, with 60 people in an intensive care unit and 25 on ventilators.
The state has fully vaccinated nearly 200,000 residents, 199,611.
Most vaccination clinics across the state begin today and will be held through the week. Residents can pre-register for a vaccination at vaccinate.wv.gov.
Total doses administered per county in the region and by percentage of population are: Doddridge, 2,804, 33.2; Pleasants, 2,126, 28.5; Calhoun, 1,954, 27.5; Gilmer, 2,140, 27.4; Wirt, 1,421, 24.6; Roane, 3,295, 24.1; Tyler, 1,991, 23.2; Ritchie, 2,166, 22.7; Jackson, 6,166, 21.6; Wood, 16,564, 19.8.
The clinic schedule for the region for today and the remainder of the week is:
* Calhoun County, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Calhoun Middle/High School – Front Loop, 50 Underwood Circle, Mt. Zion.
* Jackson County, 8 a.m.-noon, Jackson County Armory, 8832 Pt. Pleasant Road, Millwood.
* Pleasants County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Pleasants County Library, 101 Lafayette St., St. Marys.
* Ritchie County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Ritchie County 4-H Camp, 4-H Camp Road, Harrisville.
* Roane County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., City of Spencer Armory, 207 E. Main St., Spencer.
* Wood County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., WVU-Parkersburg Early Learning Center, 300 Campus Drive; 9 a.m.-5 p.m., WVU-Camden Clark Medical Center, Medical Office Building B, 705 Garfield Ave.
* Calhoun County, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Calhoun Middle/High School – Front Loop, 50 Underwood Circle, Mt. Zion.
* Doddridge County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Doddridge County High School Technical Center, 65 Doddridge County School Road, West Union.
* Gilmer County, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Sue Morris Sports Complex, 1294 U.S. Highway 33E, Glenville.
* Jackson County, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Jackson County Armory, 8832 Pt. Pleasant Road, Millwood.
* Wetzel and Tyler counties, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., United Methodist Church – New Martinsville, 10 Howard Jeffers Drive, New Martinsville.
* Wood County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., South Parkersburg Baptist Church, 1655 Blizzard Drive; 9 a.m.-5 p.m., WVU-Camden Clark Medical Center, Medical Office Building B, 705 Garfield Ave.
* Wood County, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., South Parkersburg Baptist Church, 1655 Blizzard Drive, Parkersburg.
Virus statistics for local counties by number active and total deaths: Calhoun, 10, 0; Doddridge, 20, 6; Gilmer, 17, 8; Jackson, 26, 50; Pleasants, 11, 17; Ritchie, 16, 9; Roane, 9, 7; Tyler, 44, 4; Wirt, 12, 2; Wood, 202, 131.