Wood County man among virus deaths
CHARLESTON — A man from Wood County was listed among the confirmed deaths from the COVID-19 virus reported Monday in the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources pandemic update.
The state reported 12 confirmed deaths from the virus in the 24-hour period between Sunday and Monday mornings. The total number of deaths was 1,594 people since the pandemic began in March, the state said.
Confirmed deaths reported Monday were a 92-year-old man from Hancock County, an 84-year-old man from Wayne County, an 87-year-old woman from Fayette County, an 88-year-old woman from Berkeley County, a 78-year-old woman from Hancock County, a 75-year-old man from Hancock County, an 81-year-old man from Hancock County, a 100-year-old man from Ohio County, an 85-year-old woman from Fayette County, an 87-year-old man from Lewis County, a 60-year-old man from Cabell County, and a 57-year-old man from Wood County.
“As we share this sad news, we pause to remember each West Virginian,” department Secretary Bill J. Crouch said. “Each life lost is one too many, and we must do everything we can to stop the pandemic.”
The state said 1,070 more positive results were received between Sunday and Monday mornings, raising the total of positive infection results to 102,282, of which 29,257 cases are active. Daily positivity rate is 8.77 percent and the cumulative is 5.38 percent.
Of the 109,400 doses of vaccine received by the state, 92,070 have been administered.
Hospitalizations reported Monday were 755 with 212 patients in an intensive care unit and 104 on ventilators, the highest since the pandemic began.
Local county statistics:
* Calhoun: 46 active cases, 128 recovered, 155 cumulative confirmed, 19 cumulative probable, 5,481 tests, 0 deaths.
* Doddridge: 63 active, 250 recovered, 234 cumulative confirmed, 82 cumulative probable, 4,416 tests, 3 deaths.
* Gilmer: 62 active, 429 recovered, 406 cumulative confirmed, 88 cumulative probable, 7,136 tests, 3 deaths.
* Jackson: 375 active, 984 recovered, 1,253 cumulative confirmed, 139 cumulative probable, 20,074tests, 33 deaths.
* Pleasants: 162 active, 447 recovered, 529 cumulative confirmed, 86 cumulative probable, 5,095 tests, 6 deaths.
* Ritchie: 116 active, 339 recovered, 387 cumulative confirmed, 75 cumulative probable, 6,494 tests, 7 deaths.
* Roane: 55 active, 300 recovered, 336 cumulative confirmed, 25 cumulative probable, 11,516 tests, 6 deaths.
* Tyler: 124 active, 315 recovered, 298 cumulative confirmed, 143 cumulative probable, 5,940 tests, 2 deaths.
* Wetzel: 178 active, 597 recovered, 478 cumulative confirmed, 313 cumulative probable, 9,616 tests, 16 deaths.
* Wirt: 55 active, 212 recovered, 210 cumulative confirmed, 58 cumulative probable, 3,202 tests, 1 death.
* Wood: 1,092 active, 4,655 recovered, 4,372 cumulative confirmed, 1,434 probable, 67,044 tests, 59 deaths.