13 local residents among COVID deaths
CHARLESTON — Thirteen of the additional 40 confirmed deaths in West Virginia from the coronavirus reported Tuesday morning were residents from local counties, according to the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
The death count since the virus started in March in West Virginia was at 1,634 people on Tuesday.
The department reported it has confirmed the death of an 83-year-old woman from Gilmer County, a 96-year-old woman from Wood County, a 64-year-old man from Gilmer County, a 58-year-old man from Tyler County, a 75-year-old man from Pleasants County, 96-year-old woman from Jackson County, an 82-year-old woman from Jackson County, a 65-year-old woman from Jackson County, a 76-year-old woman from Jackson County, a 92-year-old man from Wood County, an 82-year-old man from Jackson County, a 66-year-old man from Jackson County and a 90-year-old man from Wood County.
Also confirmed were the deaths of an 85-year-old woman from Putnam County, a 77-year-old woman from Marion County, a 55-year-old man from Cabell County, a 77-year-old woman from Lewis County, an 85-year-old man from Wyoming County, a 72-year-old man from Mercer County, a 78-year-old woman from Mason County, a 75-year-old man from Harrison County, a 57-year-old man from Cabell County, a 72-year-old woman from Upshur County, an 84-year-old woman from Boone County, a 67-year-old man from Mercer County, a 78-year-old man from Randolph County, an 84-year-old woman from Wayne County, a 72-year-old woman from Brooke County, a 95-year-old man from Mason County, a 67-year-old man from Monongalia County, a 57-year-old woman from Mercer County, a 79-year-old man from Lewis County, a 59-year-old woman from Marion County, an 87-year-old man from Monongalia County, a 92-year-old man from Kanawha County, a 59-year-old woman from Grant County, a 79-year-old man from Monongalia County, an 85-year-old woman from Randolph County, a 79-year-old man from Jefferson County, and a 64-year-old woman from Monongalia County.
“The loss of additional lives is painful to report,” said Bill J. Crouch, department secretary. “To these families, we extend our deepest sympathy and commitment to continue working to end transmission of this deadly virus.”
Active cases in West Virginia were 28,577 as of Tuesday, the department said. Total confirmed cases of the virus since March was 103,203. The state has received 1,664,418 tests for the virus. The daily positivity rate is 8.68 percent and the cumulative 5.4 percent. New cases in the 24 hours between Monday and Tuesday totaled 921.
The state reported 755 people were in a hospital with 203 in an intensive care unit and 104 on a ventilator, the highest number reported of people on a ventilator.
Of the 109,440 first doses of vaccine received by the state, 93,481 have been administered. Of the 16,575 second doses received, 13,764 have been administered. Hospitalizations reported Monday were 755 with 212 patients in an intensive care unit and 104 on ventilators, the highest since the pandemic began.
Local county statistics:
* Calhoun: 44 active cases, 133 recovered, 157 cumulative confirmed, 20 cumulative probable, 5,500 tests, 0 deaths.
* Doddridge: 60 active, 257 recovered, 236 cumulative confirmed, 84 cumulative probable, 4,434 tests, 3 deaths.
* Gilmer: 64 active, 437 recovered, 416 cumulative confirmed, 90 cumulative probable, 7,159 tests, 5 deaths.
* Jackson: 371 active, 1,001 recovered, 1,271 cumulative confirmed, 140 cumulative probable, 20,349 tests, 39 deaths.
* Pleasants: 141 active, 544 recovered, 599 cumulative confirmed, 93 cumulative probable, 5,818 tests, 7 deaths.
* Ritchie: 103 active, 355 recovered, 390 cumulative confirmed, 75 cumulative probable, 6,561 tests, 7 deaths.
* Roane: 55 active, 300 recovered, 336 cumulative confirmed, 25 cumulative probable, 11,516 tests, 6 deaths.
* Tyler: 124 active, 320 recovered, 300 cumulative confirmed, 147 cumulative probable, 6,011 tests, 3 deaths.
* Wetzel: 191 active, 626 recovered, 503 cumulative confirmed, 330 cumulative probable, 9,825 tests, 16 deaths.
* Wirt: 52 active, 217 recovered, 212 cumulative confirmed, 58 cumulative probable, 3,211 tests, 1 death.
* Wood: 1,035 active, 4,760 recovered, 4,409 cumulative confirmed, 1,448 probable, 67,349 tests, 62 deaths.