Cutler man facing homicide charge

Jeremy Michael Miller

MARIETTA – A 21-year-old Belpre man was shot and killed Wednesday after drawing pistols with his stepfather.

Deputies from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call at 969 Two Mile Run Road in Cutler in reference to a man suffering from a gunshot wound.

They arrived prior to the Little Hocking Squad and found Taylor Austin Feick of Murray Street, Belpre, dead on the floor.

Detectives arrived shortly thereafter to begin crime scene processing and conducting interviews.

Jeremy Michael Miller, 29, the homeowner and Feick’s stepfather, called 911. Miller gave detectives permission to process the scene and collect evidence.

He advised that he was going through a divorce, but was still very close with his stepson. Miller said the two of them had planned on getting together and grilling food. He stated during the course of the evening they had been drinking beer and had taken “a shot(s) of whiskey.”

He reportedly said he had consumed approximately six beers and taken one shot of whiskey. Miller further advised he had been shooting a pistol and an AK47 during the evening hours before going inside.

Miller stated while they were inside, they began playing quick draw with different pistols, and they both wanted to learn how to be “cowboy shooters.” He reportedly said he and Feick were standing in the kitchen-dining room facing different directions seeing who could draw the pistol the fastest.

Miller stated that all of a sudden he heard the gun go off and Feick say “I shot myself.” He reportedly said he observed a bullet hole in Feick’s neck and began CPR and Feick told him to call for help. Miller stated he ran to the back porch to retrieve his phone and he called 911.

Through the course of the investigation and processing the crime scene, detectives were able to determine that the evidence they had retrieved did not match what Miller initially had told detectives.

Detectives advised Miller that his version of the events did not match the evidence. He was told the evidence was showing the shooter was across the room. Miller became emotional, stating he was “so sorry”. When asked if he had shot Feick, he stated he did.

Miller allegedly said they were facing each other drawing the pistols at each other. He explained that when he drew his pistol, it went off and struck Feick and he fell to the ground. Miller said he forgot the pistol was loaded and did not mean to shoot Feick.

Miller was taken into custody and placed under arrest for reckless homicide, a third-degree felony. He was transported to the Washington County Jail, where he remained until his appearance in Marietta Municipal Court on Thursday. He is being held on $25,000 bond.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today