Fire at Parkersburg duplex ruled accidental

Flames engulfed the back porch and attic of a 30th Street residence in Parkersburg Wednesday night. The fire was ruled accidental, started by discarded smoking materials. (Photo provided by Parkersburg Fire Chief Jason Matthews)

PARKERSBURG — A fire that engulfed the rear portion and attic of a duplex unit on 30th Street Wednesday night has been ruled as accidental.

Smoking materials discarded in a plastic container on the back porch of 804A 30th St. were responsible for the blaze, Parkersburg Fire Chief Jason Matthews said Thursday.

The fire was reported at 9:19 p.m., and firefighters arrived on scene at 9:23, Matthews said.

There was “heavy fire in the rear of the residence on the back porch area that had extended through the sliding glass door and up into the attic,” he said.

It took 10 to 15 minutes to get the blaze under control, Matthews said. The unit sustained extensive fire damage in the attic and heat and smoke damage throughout.

An adult and juvenile in the residence at the time of the fire managed to get out safely, as did a dog and cat, the chief said.

The fire was exacerbated by wind and the presence of fallen leaves, Matthews said.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)