Veterans Resource Fair is Thursday
PARKERSBURG — The 2019 Joining Community Forces Veterans Resource Fair will be held 3-7 p.m. Thursday at the National Guard Armory, 1500 Blizzard Drive.
Joining Community Forces is a local association of veterans organizations, providers and veterans service groups that meets monthly to discuss what local veterans need and what’s available.
We Have Your Six, a veterans service group, is the main sponsor of the event, organizer Amy Long said.
“We had more than 300 veterans come through last year,” Long said. “This year we’re offering a lot more.”
Admission is free into the fair, Long said. Some vendors will require proof of military service for the services they provide, she said.
In addition to door prizes and other giveaways, also available will be a free dinner and haircuts for all veterans.
More than 60 participating vendors and organizations are scheduled to attend.
Among those will be:
* West Virginia Health Right, Charleston, which will offer free dental exams, X-rays, fillings and cleanings. Veterans must provide proof of status such as a military identification, DD214, photo ID or VA photo ID card.
* Parkersburg Lions Club, free eye screenings.
* Marietta VA Clinic, free blood pressure checks and blood glucose finger sticks.
* Broadway Barber Shop and Nails, free haircuts and fingernail painting.
* Zenergy Massage, free chair massages.
* Mobile veterans center.
* WorkForce WV and Ohio Means Jobs will help veterans with job searches.
* Cedar Grove Assisted Living will offer a free spaghetti dinner.
Organizations will be available to assist veterans with VA disability claims and with information about the programs the VA provides, such as vocational rehabilitation, home loans, family caregiver support and education benefits, and help veterans with resume writing.