Virtual Freedom Fun Run 5K reaches $25K fundraising goal
PARKERSBURG — The 2021 Virtual Freedom Fun Run 5K hosted by Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law and the Jan Dils Foundation has raised $25,000.
The event attracted over 30 veterans and active duty service members. With the Virtual Freedom Fun Run 5K being virtually held, it increased the footprint for participation and had participants from Alabama, California, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, South Africa, Canada and Kuwait.
Race participants and sponsors raised $9,075 and with a donation from Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law in the amount of $15,925, the event reached its fundraising goal of $25,000.
“We are honored by the participation and support we received throughout this event. This year’s event looked a little different as a Virtual event,” Jan Dils said. “However, the support from the community, participants and sponsors was overwhelming. We certainly look forward to hosting our 2022 event next summer as we all gather together to support our veterans.”
All of the funds raised will go to We Have Your Six, Operation Transportation, West Virginia University at Parkersburg and the WVU-P Scholarship for Veteran Recipients.
Race winners for the 2021 Virtual Freedom Fun Run 5k:
* Fastest time, male runners: first place, Alex Harris; second place, Ryan Vaillancourt; third place, Mathew Miller.
* Fastest time, female runners: first place, Katie Vickers; second place, Anna Vanderlaan; third place, Sara Stump.
* Fastest time, 15 & under female runners: first place, Aven Tacy.
* Fastest time, male walkers; first place, Brenis Phillips; second place, Robert Fehrenbacher; third place, Bob Heddleston.
* Fastest time, female walkers: first place, Sheila Dye; second place, Penny Elam; third place, Patty Metz.
* Top veteran female walker: Roxiann Price.
* Top veteran male walker: Brenis Phillips.
* Winners of fun photo awards: Best furry running partner, Mary Hetrick and her furry running partner, Teddy Graham; Best scenic race route, Devin Dye, Dolly Sods Wilderness; most patriotic, Benjamin Stanley with a 4-mile ruck while stationed in Kuwait.
* Best family fun runners: Cheryl Wingrove.
* Best race recovery: Becki Nelson.
* Overachiever Award: Pat Patterson with 13.1 miles
‘I would like to give a huge thank you to our team members and volunteers who helped make this event a tremendous success,” Dils said. “We are thankful for the generosity of our sponsors who made this event possible. Their donations will make an impact on our Veteran communities.”
Four-star sponsors donating $1,000 were Crown Florals and gifts, Dupont, Family Carpet, Locklear Media, Results Radio, United Bank, WCHS 8 and Fox 11, WTAP, WVU Medicine Camden Clark Medical Center.
Three-star sponsors donating $500 were: Bob Astorg CPA, Highmark West Virginia, Hughes Family Chiropractic, Kiger Insurance Agency and Wesbanco.