Craft workshops returning to Cedar Lakes Conference Center
RIPLEY — More than 75 workshops on topics ranging from blacksmithing to basketry are being offered at Cedar Lakes Conference Center in 2021.
The weekend and week-long sessions begin this month and continue through early December, according to coordinator Melissa Litton. The workshops are a long-time tradition at the facility’s Craft House.
She notes that special guidelines will be followed in conjunction with the Jackson County Health Department.
“Our staff is taking extra steps to clean and sanitize each building,” noted Litton. “Participants will be spaced 6-feet apart and one person per 8-foot table. Class sizes will be limited to 12 and less depending on the meeting room size. Everyone must wear a mask and we’ll have hand sanitizing stations in each meeting area.”
Returning special events include Old Time Fiddle Week in March, the Quilt Retreat in April and the Potters Gathering in October.
“Cedar Lakes has been known as a craft destination for decades,” Litton added. “We’re pleased to have such talented instructors from across West Virginia and beyond.
“We’ve had participants from Oregon to Maine as well as internationally from Canada, England and Israel. The Craft House also is where the Mountain State Art & Craft Fair originated more than 50 years ago.”
For information, dates and prices, call Litton at 304-372-7860 (Ext. 408) or see CedarLakes.com
The craft topics offered will include:
* Painting: watercolors (instructor Debbie Lester); pastels and acrylics (instructor Vivian Ripley).
* Music: fiddle (instructors by Dave Bing and Joseph Callaway); dulcimer, psaltery and ukulele (instructor Tish Westman).
* Woodwork: woodturning (instructor Byron Young) and woodcarving (instructor Bob Barris).
* Metals: blacksmithing (instructor Peter Buchanan) and tinsmithing (instructor Jeff Leister).
* Arts: stained glass (instructor Stephanie Danz); quilting (instructors Judy Lilly and Kathy Saunders); wool felting (instructor Debbie Martzell); basketry (instructor Elaine Sinclair); beading (instructor Wendy Ellsworth); nature printing (instructor John Doughty).
* Misc: creative writing (instructor Colleen Anderson); fly fishing and fly tying (instructor Dave Augustine).