Parkersburg News and Sentinel Cookbook winners chosen in annual event
PARKERSBURG — Foods and desserts of different varieties were sampled at the Parkersburg News and Sentinel’s 66th Annual Cookbook Contest tasting party Wednesday at Rockport Church of Christ.
Although the setup was a little different than previous years, the tradition was kept alive with tasty recipes and good conversation among the four judges, Christina Myer, Kiki Angelos, Mrs. Joseph C. Snyder and Vickie Davis.
Instead of a judge scoring for presentation, the judges took notes on preparation after looking over the recipe and comparing that to the food in front of them.
The other aspects they noted were taste, originality and overall appeal.
The three categories were party snacks, main dishes and desserts. From the 188 recipes submitted, 15 were selected to participate in the contest. For each category, five recipes were chosen and sampled.
The grand prize winner will be announced in the 2020 cookbook edition of the Parkersburg News and Sentinel on Nov. 22.
The 2020 Cookbook Contest results are:
* First: Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, Karen Weekly, Washington, W.Va.
* Second: Mini Reuben Puffs, Rhonda Milliron, Parkersburg
* Third: Barbecue Ranch Chicken Loaded Fries, Sheila Dye, LeRoy, W.Va.
* Finalists: Bacon-Broccoli Cheeseball, Janet Atkinson, Williamstown; Korean Wontons, Anna McQuaid, Williamstown
* First: Spinach and Sausage Stuffed Shells, Linda Pearson Dally, Vienna
* Second: Cheesy Chicken Mexican Casserole, Pauletta Eakle, Harrisville
* Third: Supreme Pizza Casserole, Stephanie Parsons, Mineral Wells
* Finalists: Delicious Ham and Cheese Puff Pie, Loretta Howell, Vienna; Slow Cooker Pineapple Curry, Debby Carouthers, Belmont
* First: Dad’s Heavenly Apple Crisp Coffee Cake, Rick Petty, Williamstown (Petty only submitted two recipes).
* Second: Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Bundt Cake, Tammy Morrison, Newport, Ohio
* Third: Apple Pie Cake Hybrid, Carole Jones, Walker, W.Va.
* Finalists: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon, Jeannette Flowers, Williamstown; Elegant Lemon Cake Roll, Anna Dean, St. Marys
Candice Black can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.