First Lutheran begins 40 days of Lent with Ash Wednesday service
PARKERSBURG — First Lutheran Church, 1701 19th St., begins the season of Lent with worship services at noon and 7 p.m. on Ash Wednesday.
Communion will be celebrated at both services and a nursery will be available.
Weekly Wednesday Lenten services will begin March 4 and continue 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays through April 1. Services will be preceded by a light lunch at 11:30 a.m.
Weekly evening services will begin at 7 p.m., preceded with a light meal at 5:30 p.m.
According to the Rev. Ian B. Reid, senior pastor, this season’s weekly sermons will be based on the Lenten series “By His Wounds We Are Healed.”
The innocent Son of God was falsely accused of violating every commandment of God, Reid said. “In each service in this series we will see that it was our sin, our disobedience that Jesus bore in his body on the cross. Jesus suffered the penalty of death in our place and by his wounds we are healed, he said.
The schedule is:
* Ash Wednesday, Feb. 26: Blasphemy (John 10:31-39). Jesus is accused of blasphemy and misusing God’s name.
* March 4: Jesus is accused of violating the Sabbath. (Luke 6:6-11)
* March 11: Jesus is accused of dishonoring authority, calling himself a king. (John 19:12-16)
* March 18: (John 11:47-53) Jesus is accused of inspiring rebellion and the destruction of Israel. He is accused of being in league with Satan, who is “a murderer from the beginning” (John 8:44)
* March 25: Jesus is accused of associating with tax collectors and prostitutes (Mark 2:13-17)
* April 1: Stealing (Luke 23:1-5) Jesus is accused of forbidding the paying of taxes.
First Lutheran again this year will have special gatherings 7 p.m. each Wednesday for children from toddler through elementary school age. Children will enjoy lessons, activities and a craft. Evening meals are 5:30 and will have special options for children.
All services are open to the public and there is no charge for the meals, but donations will be taken. Parking is adjacent to the church, which is handicapped accessible and has the hearing assistance “LOOP” system. For more information, contact First Lutheran at 304-428-6174.