Parkersburg Art Center to hold classes
PARKERSBURG — Beginning in January, the Parkersburg Art Center will be offering a variety of art classes for children, teens and adults.
Various fees will be required for the classes, but the art center is also bringing back its free weekly Arty Parties for children.
Beginning Jan. 4, the Arty Party series is a free art and play program designed for children ages 4-12 with an adult. Each Arty Pary will be 10 a.m.-noon every Saturday from Jan. 4 through March 21 with a different project or art activity available each week.
No advance registration is required and donations will be accepted.
The paid classes for adults and children usually require a minimum of four students in order to run and/or have maximum number limits so those interested are recommended to register in advance online or by calling 304-485-3859. Art center members receive a 20 percent discount.
Among the classes for teens and adults are:
* Pottery On the Wheel: An introduction to making or “throwing” ceramic vessels on a pottery wheel taught by Vance Hewitt and Casey Cutlip. The class is for teens and adults and will meet 6-9 p.m. Thursdays from Jan. 9-30. Additional sessions will begin each month. Check website for dates. The cost is $130.
* 1-2-3 Draw: Jonathan Seymour will present a six-week beginner/intermediate course on basic drawing techniques. Materials will be provided for the first class and the art center will provide a supply list so students will have the tools to continue at home. The class meets Thursdays from Jan. 9-Feb. from 6-7:30 p.m. The cost is $90.
* Watercolor Portraiture: The class will teach how to paint portraiture with watercolor. The class is for teens and adults. Classes will meet for six weeks on Tuesdays, Jan. 14-Feb. 18 from 6-7:30 p.m. The cost is $90.
* Clay Masks: Clay sculptor Rick Austin will teach how to build clay masks that can be used as decorative wall hangings. Work will be glazed and fired. All materials and kiln fees are included. The class is designed for those ages 12 to adults. The class meets Tuesdays and Thursdays for six sessions total from Jan. 14-30 from 6-8 p.m. The cost is $130.
* Oil Painting with Virginia Killian: Killian will teach the traditional techniques of oil painting (underpainting then layering color). The class will begin by working on still life painting. Bring the materials you have to the first class then get a materials list for additional classes. The class will meet for four weeks with an optional two weeks to add-on. The four-week class will meet Wednesdays, Jan. 22-Feb. 12 from 10 a.m. to noon. The cost is $80.
* Watercolor Animals: Learn to paint animals with Samantha Roberts using the medium of watercolor. Learn how to paint fur and textures. This class will go over all of the basics for beginner to intermediate levels ages 16 and up. The three-series class will meet Fridays, Feb. 7, 21 and 28 from 6-8:30 p.m. The cost is $60.
* Clay Bear Sculpture: Clay sculptor Rick Austin will teach how to build a bear out of clay. Work will be glazed and fired. All materials and kiln fees are included. The class is designed for those ages 12 to adults. It meets Tuesdays and Thursdays for six sessions total from Feb. 11-27 from 6-8 p.m. The cost is $130.
* Hand Building Pottery: Learn the fundamentals of building clay projects by hand. Hand building pottery will cover pinch, soft slab and coil construction, covering step-by-step instructions on each project. Four to six projects will be completed during this class. Teens and adults can join Joyce Tharp for this four-week session on Mondays from 6-9 p.m. The cost is $130.
The children’s art classes include:
* Mini-Monet: This class is designed for little ones aged 18 months to 3 years with an adult. Dress for mess. New materials and experiences will be introduced each week. The class will end with time for a story and play in the “Big Room.” It will be Mondays from Jan. 6-27 from 10-11 a.m. Another session will start in February. The cost is $60.
*Baby Van Gogh Go: This is a music and art class for babies and their caregivers. The class is designed for babies 6 to 18 months with their caregivers. It meets Thursdays, Jan. 9-30 from 10-11 a.m. Another session will begin in February. The cost is $60.
* Pre-School Picasso: Drop your child off for an afternoon of art instruction/experiences, song and story time, and a little bit of creative play too with Miss Summer. Children ages 3-5 and toilet trained will be able to create projects with a variety of different mediums in this four week class. It meets Fridays, Jan. 10-31 from 12:30-2 p.m. Additional sessions will begin in February, March, and April. The cost is $75.
* Kids Draw!: Explore the basics of drawing with guided, observation, continuous blind and grid drawing techniques. Michelle Fullerton will be introducing a variety of drawing pencils and pens with other art mediums available to complete projects as desired. The class is designed for kids in grades first through fifth. It meets Thursdays, Jan. 16-Feb. 6 from 4-5:30 p.m. The cost is $75.
* After School Arts and Crafts: Third through sixth graders can join Tracy Love for Arts and Crafts. The class will focus on mixed media art, 2D and 3D projects, as well as learning about different art styles and artists. Projects will differ from previous class. The class meets Mondays from Feb. 3-24 from 4:30-6 p.m. Another session will begin in April. The cost is $75.
Wayne Towner can be reached at email@example.com