Mid-Ohio Valley organizations planning Christmas Day dinners
PARKERSBURG — Several community Christmas Day meals will be offered on Wednesday in celebration of Christmas.
* Gihon Tabernacle Evangelical Methodist Church will hold a free community Christmas breakfast from 9-11 a.m. Dec. 25 at the church at 1906 Gihon Road in south Parkersburg.
The breakfast of pancakes and sausage will be served in the family center located behind the church. The Christmas worship service will begin at 11 a.m.
* The First Presbyterian Church, at 1341 Juliana St. in Parkersburg, has been hosting a Christmas Day dinner in its fellowship hall annually and will be holding its 30th dinner this year.
The free dinner will be served from noon-2:30 p.m. on Christmas Day, and will include salad, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, roll, beverage and dessert. Doors open at 11:45 a.m. with serving beginning at noon. Delivered meal reservations are available by calling 304-422-5426 or email email@example.com by Sunday.
The dinner is not just for people in need, but also gets a lot of people who are alone and don’t have anyone to share Christmas with. Volunteers at the church began planning for the dinner in October. Much of the food has been donated by local businesses.
The dinner will have 25-30 volunteers from First Presbyterian working, and those are usually joined by an equal number of volunteers from the community who stop by to help in various ways.
* In Marietta, the sixth annual Christmas Day Feast will be 1-2 p.m. Dec. 25 at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Fourth and Wooster streets in Marietta.
The event is free and open to the public. Doors open at noon. Music will be provided by Puls Family String Trio. Takeout and deliveries are available by calling 740-371-4587. Those needing transportation assistance can call the same number.
A number of area churches are working together to put on the event, spokesman Bruce Haas said. Volunteers are always needed and can contact Haas at 740-629-1277, he said.
Any leftover food and monetary donations are taken to the Gospel Mission Food Pantry in Marietta, he said.
* In south Parkersburg, Tri-City Baptist Church will host its annual Community Christmas Day Dinner from noon-2 p.m. Dec. 25 at the church at 913 Grandview St., Parkersburg.
The dinner is open to everyone in the Parkersburg community. For more information, contact the church at 304-428-0767 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* In Coolville, the annual Christmas Day dinner at Coolville United Methodist Church has been canceled for this year due to unforeseen circumstances. Organizers hope to bring the event back in 2020.
Wayne Towner can be reached at email@example.com