Vidalia Onion Fest set for Saturday
ST. MARYS — The 2019 Sweet Breath of Spring Vidalia Onion Festival will be 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday in St. Marys.
There will be music, food, plant sales, farmers market, crafts, a car cruise in, bingo, and other activities on Washington Street from Phillips Pharmacy to Riverside Drive.
Many people of the community remember the story of Cooney Pryor loving Vidalia onions so much that he would sit down and eat one like an apple. So in his honor the tradition will continue as the onion festival will once again have the “Vidalia Onion Eating Contest.”
Music is an important part of the festival and this year will include Tom Roddy, The Carriers, Sour Mash String Band, The Country Club Band, and The Beacon Road Band. The Pleasants Area Chamber of Commerce will be hosting a “Cruise In” car show.
The festival will have activities for children. Inflatables will be set up in front of the St. Marys United Methodist Church. There is a $2 fee per participant and it covers the entire afternoon. There will also be face painting for children from 1-4 p.m. in front of the United Methodist Church.
The schedule includes:
* 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Cruise In Car Show
* 11 a.m.: Opening ceremony: Welcome; Prayer
* 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Pleasants County Farmers Market at the United Methodist Church Parking Lot; SMHS Ag Students – flowers/plants at UMC parking lot; Vidalia Onions for sale at the UMC parking lot; Food/Drinks
* 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.: Tom Roddy Musical Vocal
* Noon to 4 p.m.: Inflatables on Washington Street, $2 admission
* 12:15-1:15 p.m.: The Carriers
* 1:15-2:15 p.m.: Sour Mash String Band
* 1-3 p.m.: Bingo sponsored by Pleasants County Neighbor Network
* 1-4 p.m.: Face Painting for Kids
* 2:15 p.m.: Vidalia Onion Eating Contest (stage area)
* 2:30-3:30 p.m.: The Country Club Band
* 3:45-4:45 p.m.: Beacon Road Band
* 5 p.m.: Vidalia Onion Festival Closes