Paper Trail: Parkersburg News and Sentinel staff wins advertising, news awards
PARKERSBURG– The advertising and editorial departments of The Parkersburg News and Sentinel received awards in the annual Better Newspaper Contest sponsored by the West Virginia Press Association.
The Advertising Department of The Parkersburg News and Sentinel won second place in Division 1 in the advertising competition while the editorial department racked up 19 awards, including two firsts, four seconds and 13 thirds, mostly for coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.
“Congratulations to our hard-working team here at The News and Sentinel,” Jim Spanner, publisher, said.
The significance of the awards is the newspaper entries were judged by other members of the press, according to Spanner.
“The best thing about these annual awards is that we are being recognized by our peers,” he said. “Our readers and our advertising partners deserve a quality local newspaper and our award-winning staff works hard every day to produce just that.”
The Advertising Department received the Advertisement of the Year Award for the ad, “Seven Springs — Remember that feeling.”
“It takes a team to be successful and we have a great team,” Lisa Northcraft, advertising director, said.
Steven Allen Adams of the editorial department received a first place for the News Feature category and the staff received a first place for best COVID-19 stories.
Among the newsroom individual award recipients were Adams, Evan Bevins, Candace Black, Terry Estep, Jess Mancini, Christina Myer and Amy Phelps.
“Receiving these awards from judges working in other media markets serves as confirmation our team here in the newsroom is giving its all, day in and day out, for our readers,” Myer, executive editor, said.
The Press Association represents newspapers in West Virginia.
“We are so proud of our newspapers and staff members and thrilled to announce these editorial and advertising honors,” association Executive Director Don Smith said.
* Steven Adams, WV native retires from U.S. Supreme Court, 1st, Best news Feature
* Staff, COVID-19 Entries, Combined into one, 1st, Best COVID-19 Coverage
* Steven Adams, Stopping next generation of homelessness, 2nd, Best News Feature
* Sports staff, 2020 Pigskin Preview, 2nd, Best Sports Special Section
* Jess Mancini and Amy Phelps, Public Warning, 2nd, Best Illustration, Cartoon or Graphic
* News and Sentinel staff, Serving our readers, 2nd, Service to the Community
* Christina Myer, 3rd, Best News Columnist
* Evan Bevins, City attorney retires, 3rd, Best News Feature
* Terry Estep, headlines, 3rd, Best Headline Writing
* Candice Black, 10-year-old hero, 3rd, Best News Feature
* Candice Black, Sistersville ferry, 3rd, Best News Feature
* Steven Adams, Virgin Hyperloop center, 3rd, Best Coverage of Breaking News
* Steven Adams, GOP’s WV sweep, 3rd, Best News Feature
* Steven Adams, School re-entry metrics, 3rd, Best Legal Affairs Reporting
* Steven Adams, Radio PSAs cost taxpayers $90K, 3rd, Best In-Depth or Investigative Reporting
* Sports staff, Honoring Spring Sports Seniors, 3rd, Best Sports Special Section
* Sports staff, March 22 Sports page, 3rd, Best Sports pages
* Amy Phelps, A Helping Paw, 3rd, Photo Essay
* News and Sentinel staff, April 11 front page, 3rd, Best Front Page.
* Art Smith and Patty Kehl, Local memories, 1st, Best Theme Pages, Retail Advertising
* Staff, COVID Related Advertising, 1st, COVID Related Advertising
* Staff, Pigskin preview, 1st, Best Special Section, Sports
* Staff, Thanksgiving dinner, 1st, Best Single Black & White Ad, Quarter Page or Less
* Staff, The eyes MD, 1st, Best Single Black & White Ad, Quarter Page or Less
* Staff, Bobcat, 1st, Best Single Black & White Ad, Quarter Page or Less
* Staff, The Passion for care, 1st, Best Spot Color Ad, Half Page or Less
* Staff, MMH Expect more, 1st, Best process Color Ad, Half Page or Less
* Staff, Seven Springs: Remember that feeling?, 1st, Best Ad Campaign, Half Page or Larger
* Staff, WVU Medicine, Thank you to our community heroes, 1st, Best COVID-19 Related Advertising
* Patty Kehl, 2020 WVSSAC football playoffs, 2nd, Best Theme Pages, Retail
* Staff, WVU Medicine Protected, 2nd, Best Online Static Ad
* Staff, Readers’ Choice ballot, 2nd, Best Single Black & White Ad, Larger Than a Quarter Page
* Art Smith, Local memories, 2nd, Best Newspaper Promotional Campaign
* Art Smith, Books make great gifts, 2nd, Best house Ad
* Staff, MMH It’s what we do, 2nd, Best Ad Half Page or larger
* Staff, rental living, 3rd, Best Theme pages, Classified
* Staff, Visit PKB Shop and Dine Local, 3rd, Best Single Black & White Ad, Quarter Page or larger
* Art Smith, Here for you, 3rd, Best COVID-19 Related Advertising
* Staff, WVU-P Former rivals, 3rd, Best Process Color Ad Larger Than a Half Page
* Staff, WVU-P We are here for you, 3rd, Best Ad Campaign, Half Page or Larger
* Mills Marketing, Eating take out gives back, 3rd, Best Agency Advertisement