Parkersburg News and Sentinel cookbook contest accepting recipe entries
PARKERSBURG — The Parkersburg News and Sentinel and Marietta Times will be holding a joint holiday Cookbook and are seeking recipes for publication and their contest.
Because of precautionary restrictions due to COVID-19, the tasting party when category winners and a grand prize winner are chosen by a panel of judges will be held in a similar format as last year, with downsized categories. The newspapers want readers to send recipes for their favorite Party Snacks, Main Dishes and Desserts only.
A compilation of selected favorite recipes from readers, as well as the winners in each category, will be printed in the 67th edition of the Cookbook.
Recipes submitted in accordance with the rules are eligible to win prizes, including a grand prize of a $500 gift card from Piggly Wiggly.
The Cookbook is among the popular publications in the Mid-Ohio Valley, said Jim Spanner, publisher of The News and Sentinel and The Marietta Times.
“We know it is a favorite of readers,” he said. “Our readers enjoy the recipes as much as we do.”
It is preferred recipes be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries may be mailed to Cookbook Editor, The Parkersburg News and Sentinel/The Marietta Times, P.O. Box 1787, Parkersburg, WV, 26102. The deadline for submitting recipes is Sept. 3. Up to five recipes in each category with a limit of 15 per entrant will be accepted.
The 2021 categories are Party Snacks, Main Dishes and Desserts.
Any recipes submitted that do not fall into these categories will not be accepted.
Because of precautionary restrictions and sanitary practices due to COVID, the Tasting Party will follow the same format as last year. Each finalist will be given an appointment time to bring their dish in for the judges to taste. After the judges sample, the dish will be returned and the contestant will leave, so everything may be cleaned and sanitized for the next contestant. The results for the categories will be published in the next day’s Parkersburg News and Sentinel and Marietta Times, with the grand prize winner announced in the Cookbook. There will be no presentation again this year, and only the contestant may come to their appointment time.
The following rules apply:
1. Each contestant may enter no more than 15 recipes, up to five recipes in each of the three categories. Make sure to note what category you are entering and count your entries before sending them in. If you send more than five recipes in any category, NONE of the recipes will be entered into the competition. If you send in a recipe for a category that is not present, it will not be entered. Please double-check your categories.
2. Recipes submitted by mail must be typed and printed legibly, one entry per page. Every entry must contain your name, address and telephone number. If we cannot contact you, you cannot win. At the top of each page, give the category in which the recipe being entered and the name of the recipe. Mailed recipes are retyped, so it is important that we be able to clearly read the measurements, ingredients and directions. It is also important that we are able to identify and contact you.
3. Read your recipes through before sending, or even better, have someone else read them to make sure they are complete. Be sure to include pan size, temperature and length of cooking time. DO NOT say, “put in oven and cook until done.” DO SAY, “put in a 350-degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.” Only give brand names if necessary to the success of the dish, but do give package size. Remember, readers will be trying to duplicate your dishes at home, so make it a pleasant experience for them by making your recipes easy to read and directions easy to follow.
4. Recipes may be emailed to email@example.com. The same rules apply: One recipe per message, with the category, name of recipe and complete contact information (name, address, phone number) on each. The recipe MUST be in the body of the email, NO attachments.
5. Recipes may be mailed to Cookbook Editor, The Parkersburg News and Sentinel/The Marietta Times, P.O. Box 1787, Parkersburg, WV, 26102.
6. Recipes must be postmarked or email time-stamped no later than midnight Sept. 3. Late submissions will not be accepted.
7. If selected as a finalist, you must be available to attend the Tasting Party on Oct. 27 at the appointment time assigned. If you are unable to attend, an alternate will be chosen. Complete details will be provided to the finalists.
The 2021 Cookbook will be in the Nov. 21 editions of the newspapers. Category finalists and winner will be published in the Cookbook, as well as a select amount of submitted recipes. Sending your recipes DOES NOT guarantee it for publication.