Suspect in fatal shootings of 4, including boy, is indicted

Lawrence County Sheriff Jeff Lawless escorts in Arron Lee Lawson after he was captured on Friday, Oct. 13, 2017, in Ironton, Ohio. Lawson has been arrested on three counts of murder and one count of aggravated murder.(Sholten Singer/The Herald-Dispatch via AP)

CINCINNATI (AP) — A man suspected in the deadly shootings of a 7-year-old boy and three other family members and a related non-fatal stabbing was indicted Wednesday on charges including aggravated murder and attempted murder.
Arron Lawson was arrested Oct. 13 after a manhunt near Ironton, just south of where authorities found the bodies in a house trailer.
The Lawrence County grand jury on Wednesday also indicted the 23-year-old Lawson on charges of felonious assault, rape, kidnapping, corpse abuse, aggravated burglary, vehicle theft, tampering with evidence and failing to comply with a police officer’s order.
Lawson’s attorney, Warren Morford, didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking comment on the potential death penalty case. A woman answering the phone at Morford’s office said he was out.
Lawson is suspected of killing 28-year-old Stacey Jackson; Jackson’s mother and stepfather, 43-year-old Tammie McGuire and 50-year-old Donald McGuire; and Jackson’s son, Devin Holston. The sheriff says the boy’s body apparently was hidden.
Authorities haven’t clearly explained how Lawson is related to the victims and haven’t commented on a motive in the case.
The county coroner told The Columbus Dispatch that each victim was shot twice using a 20-gauge shotgun.
Jackson’s husband, Todd Holston, was stabbed but survived.
Todd Holston told the Dispatch he rushed home from work after hearing screams and a gunshot during a phone call with his mother-in-law. He said he found Lawson there with a knife, looking crazed, and a fight ensued before the wounded Holston locked Lawson out of the home.
Holston said Lawson, who lived up the road, was often at the home. He told the newspaper he has no idea what motivated the attack or why their 2-year-old son, who was at the home, was spared from harm.
A few other relatives of the victims had told reporters shortly after the arrest that they had seen no sign or warning of such violence by Lawson.
Franko reported from Columbus.