Big Reds fall to Red Dragons in overtime

Photo by Tyler Bennett Parkersburg’s Jacob McKnight passes to a teammate while defended by St. Albans’ NuNu Claytor during the Red Dragons’ 63-57 overtime win over the Big Reds Friday.

PARKERSBURG — It had what was the making of the storybook ending on senior night, but the St. Albans Red Dragons outscored the Parkersburg Big Reds 13-5 in the game’s final five minutes and took a 63-57 win over Parkersburg in overtime Friday. A Jacob McKnight pass to Carter Stone for a 3-point play was unable to be converted. Johnson rebounded the miss for a putback for 7-2 Parkersburg lead with 5:50 in the first. St. Albans chipped away at the lead with baskets from Braxton Good and Jaimelle Claytor, while Ethan Clay scored two baskets. But with every basket scored, Kionte Peacock responded by scoring eight points, six coming from three, making the score 15-10 with 1:11 left. With under a minute left, Johnson stole a Claytor pass and pulled up for the layup, but was blocked on the play by Bones Johnson. McKnight got the rebound and got fouled pulling up by Jaimelle Claytor with 10 seconds left in the first. McKnight converted both shots, as Parkersburg took a 17-10 lead.

Rodney Toler used Braeden Mason’s momentum against him, getting by him for a lay-in, but was immediately answered by Peacock’s 3. McKnight hustled for a loose ball off a Peacock miss and took his man from the corner driving it home.

Toler scored his 1,000 points with a lay-up. Both teams traded points in the final three minutes, three points from McKnight and Peacock, both off from Johnson. Johnson rebounded, but was immetality swiped by Nunu Claytor, who scored making the score 27-20 Parkersburg into the half.

Shaver and Sam Potts combined for 13 points in third quater, but St. Albans used the third to start chipping away at the lead due to picking up six second-chance points and three 3s, Toler (2) and Nunu Claytor (1). Toler used a step-back to get much-needed room from Johnson and converted with a three made the score 41-35

Parkersburg started the fourth on a 6-2 scoring run, as they extended the lead to double digits with 3s from Peacock and Mason. Clay scored six points, as both teams scored six points in a 30-second span

Johnson jumped in front of a Mason pass to Johnson and scored on the other end. That gave St. Albans it’s first lead of the night, 52-21, with 1:30 left in the fourth. Parkersburg turned the ball over the next possession due to Peacock mishandling McKnight’s pass. Toler was able to find a hole in the defense and found Jamimelle Claytor, who was fouled by Johnson. He made the bucket making it 54-51 with 19 seconds left. St. Albans was unable to pull away with misses on the free throw line by Clay. Mason was fouled by Clay on a jumper. Mason missed the first one but was able to convert it. Peacock applied pressure to Jaimelle Claytor, as Claytor turned the ball over with 5 seconds remaining. Peacock was immediately double-teamed, as Parkersburg Coach Jeff Mennillo called a timeout, giving Parkersburg one more shot with 2.8 seconds left. Shaver used McKnight screen to get open and connected with a last-second jumper forcing the game to overtime.

Parkersburg almost went scoreless in overtime, as St. Albans scored eight unanswered points. Johnson scored after tipping a Peacock pass, and he went straight to the basket and converted a three-point play off a Jaimelle Claytor pass. Only a four-point game with a minute left, Parkersburg was unable to get anything going on the offensive side, missing 10 shots, before Potts made a three with 17 seconds left.

Peacock scored 12 out of his team-high 18 points, from three-point range, while pulling down five rebounds.

McKnight was another double-figure scorer for Parkersburg (11), and he pulled in five rebounds.

Shaver filled up the stat sheet with eight points, five-rebounds and two steals.

Johnson had a team-high four assists, to go along with four points

St Albans had three players combined with 47 points: Toler (18), Jaimelle Clayor (15) and Clay (14).