Eddy steps down at South

PARKERSBURG — Parkersburg South football said goodbye to its head coach after Mike Eddy resigned effective immediately Friday afternoon. The Patriots’ six-year leader is expected to take the reins at Logan High in Ohio.

The change is not expected to become official until after a Wood County Board of Education meeting Monday night, though Eddy has already met with Logan officials.

“It is bittersweet for us,” said Parkersburg South Athletic Director Roger Thompson, who now begins his first football head coaching search since assuming the AD position following the retirement of Rich Leach before the beginning of the 2017-18 school year. “We hate to see Mike leave and wish him nothing but the best moving forward at Logan.”

Thompson noted his search has been ongoing for a new coach. “You never stop searching,” said the AD.

One name has already been removed from consideration. Patriots’ assistant Matt Kimes accepted the vacant head coaching position and an assistant athletic director position at Warren High School.

Eddy succeeded Jon Bolen as the program’s foundation on Feb. 13, 2013. He arrived as a proven leader following four years at Gallia Academy, where he transformed the Blue Devils into a powerhouse.

Following a two-win first season, Gallia twice finished runner-up in the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League before his final team won the league and an opening-round state playoff game. He also coached the District III Player of the Year in 2012.

During his time as Patriots’ head coach, Eddy led the Patriots to a 28-34 record (beating cross-town rival PHS in back-to-back seasons in 2015 and 2016), including a pair of Class AAA state-playoff appearances (2014 and ’18).

He coached eight all-state players, including 2015 first-team defensive back selection Garrett Gilkeson and punter/utility player Nick Yoho in 2018.

His final season was perhaps his best at the helm of the blue and white with a touch of red.

Compiling a six-game winning streak after a 1-2 start, a veteran Patriots’ squad finished 7-3 overall and earned just the second home playoff game at the Erickson All-Sports Facility.

Though Eddy was reached for comment, he requested nothing be shared until after official business concluded Monday at the board office.