St. Marys falls short in season opener

Blue Devils downed 21-14

St. Marys defenders gang tackle Scott quarterback Caleb Dingess during the Blue Devils’ 21-14 setback Friday night at Bill Hanlin Stadium. Photo by Dominic Catacora

ST. MARYS — Scott traveled Friday night to Bill Hanlin Stadium and ended up leaving with a 21-14 win.

“To come up here and play coach (Jodi) Mote’s team and the job that he does and obviously the tradition that they got was a great win for us especially after last week.” said Scott head coach Shann Elkins. “For us, to travel up here and be able to do what we were able to do tonight with the program that we played, it’s a big win for our kids.”

The first quarter opened up with a fight, but the first score on the board as both teams were playing a solid defensive game early on in the first quarter went to St. Marys’ Shawn Boley, who ran it in for the TD with 1:06 left in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Connor White came in for Scott and had a big run into St. Marys’ territory on a drive that ultimately ended with him running one into the end zone to make it 7-7 at the half.

Scott came into the second half continuing to adapt with a solid defensive game to hold off St. Marys’ first drive in the second half. Scott running back Caleb Dingess had two solid runs on the drive and eventually ran it past St. Marys’ line for the touchdown.

“He’s one of about three that we have junior-wise. He didn’t play for us last week. He had got kicked out of a game at the end of last year. So we didn’t have him last week,” said coach Elkins. “He’s a great player and really he doesn’t realize how good he could be.”

Dylan Patterson adapted in the pocket for St. Marys and began to successfully run the ball to Scott’s 15. However, their effort was shut down as Trenton Sorah made the final stop on defense for the turnover.

Connor White for Scott happened to break free this quarter to run in for the touchdown making it 21-7.

Lucas Lipscomb scored a 38-yard touchdown for St. Marys in the fourth quarter making the score 21-14.

When the ball came over to Scott’s it was Jacob Hoyt who came out for a crucial interception giving the posession back to St. Marys for it to attempt to tie up the game.

Lucas Lipscomb went for the long pass but the QB and receiver never connected. Again with 1:21 left in the fourth, Patterson tried to go for the long throw only to find his pass tipped by defensive player Kaleb Huges. St. Marys was unable to find that final touchdown to tie up the game in the fourth.

When Scott regained possession and started its last drive in the fourth, they killed the clock and the game was over.

“I felt like the kids were in shape. That was a good thing going into our first game and that was same in their second game.” said SMSH head coach Mote. “I was pleased with the effort that the kids made.”

St. Marys next game will be away against Roane County and the team will take this hard fought game with their heads held high.

“Win as a team, lose as a team. We just weren’t able to win and it’s tough because you get a situation where you’re close. The kids fought and that’s all you can ask of them.” said Mote. “We’re just going to keep working. There was a lot of positive I saw. You want to win. We just have to keep fighting and keep working. That’s our goal for this next week.”