My week (almost) without sports

Going back as far as I can recall, sports has always been a huge part of my life. Every day has consisted of some interaction with the topic I love maybe too much. Whether watching, playing (recreationally of course), discussing, writing, or covering some event, sports was always on the forefront of my mind.

Seven years ago, a special person entered my life as an immediate rival for my affection of the activities I’ve constructed my career around the past four years.

My now-wife overtook anything remotely close to her Sept. 30, when tears streamed down my face as I married her at 2:30 p.m. on the beautiful back lawn of the Belpre Shrine Club.

Sports were tossed aside as we made our way into the hall to celebrate our vows with friends and family. Only quick glances to see if my beloved Red Sox had clinched an American League East title (they finally did) were the small tastes I had during the party.

I took things to the next level Sunday when we departed for our honeymoon by making the conscious decision to put sports on hold during our week-long celebration in Orlando.

I confidently thought this would be easily done as Universal Studios featured two parks based around both our favorite works of fiction — Harry Potter.

But before I get ahead of myself, let’s finish Sunday.

I believed a travel day would be easy.

After all, driving to John Glenn International Airport with a trip through security to follow shortly after our arrival would take close to two-and-a-half-hours, right?

Then, we would wait around for an hour to hour-an-a-half to board the 12:30 p.m. flight to our vacation destination.

Boy, was I wrong.

Our arrival at the airport was a solid 150 minutes before our flight time, and security was a breeze as our flight was one of the first to leave from the gate (or so we thought).

Naturally, the plane had a bad tail with departure time pushed back two hours.

Some of my colleagues suggested I pass the time by talking to my wife, which I did until she shut her eyes for a brief nap. We left for the airport at 8 a.m. one day after she arose at 7 a.m. to prepare for the wedding. She was a little tired.

Those moments were some of the hardest as I would easily check up on the college top 25 results from Saturday. Or study the previews for the NFL games, because I am always learning how to write better stories for my readers.

Turns out I got lost in my own thoughts for the better part of the delay. Towards the end I was a little antsy, but I managed to stay off my phone as a few young kids entertained the entire terminal.

Monday and Tuesday breezed by though both were extremely long days. Wednesday found me in a rental car on the way to The Magic Kingdom, my wedding gift to Cass, for her inaugural visit to a Disney World park.

It is said Disney turns every one into kids. We were no exception to the rule. Having visited Disney multiple times as a kid, I knew where to go and when to get everything done we wanted to complete.

I don’t remember our phones leaving our pockets except to check wait times or make sure we weren’t late for lunch.

There was not a single worry to be had that day. (Well unless you count me driving as carefully as I could to avoid doing anything to Hertz’s Nissan Sentra).

Major League Baseball’s postseason started Thursday with the Red Sox playing the earliest game. I thought this would be a test, but first pitch came and went with me chilling in the hotel pool.

High School Football Friday offered the only actual test. When it is ingrained in your mind to check and refresh the WVMetroNews scores’ page upwards of 25 times a night, it is hard not to find yourself on the site.

I might have checked scores 10 times as Cass and I prepared to head home.

Things went a little awry Saturday.

Missing a second college football weekend was too much for my brain to handle. I read preview after preview, gulping down all the information I could get my hands on from my iPhone screen as we waited in the Orlando airport.

Things worked out well as my wife uploaded photos from our trip to friends on Facebook. She also read all the comments from our wedding photos.

Coming full circle, Sunday was as much of a blur as Monday or Tuesday. The list of chores seemed infinite as wedding gifts needed picked up, suitcases full of dirty laundry needed unpacking, dishes were dirty, my dog required attention, and on and on.