PARKERSBURG - John Marlow has been named president of the Wood County Board of Education.
Board members Monday unanimously chose Marlow to take the top position, with Lawrence Hasbargen being elected as board vice president. Both terms are for a two-year period.
"It is quite an honor to serve on the board as president," Marlow said. "I certainly look forward to working with each and every one of you."
Wood County Board of Education member Peggy Smith was sworn in Monday evening by Judge J.D. Beane. Smith is one of two newly elected board members. (Photo by Gretchen Richards)
Wood County Board of Education member Jim Asbury was sworn in Monday evening by Judge J.D. Beane. Asbury is one of two newly elected board members. (Photo by Gretchen Richards)
Tim Yeater stepped down as board president after serving for the past two years.
"I would like to thank everybody," Yeater said. "It's been two years of an experience. I've enjoyed working with everyone."
The board also officially welcomed two new members - Peggy Smith and Jim Asbury - who were elected to the board in May. The new members were sworn in Monday by Wood County Circuit Court Judge J.D. Beane.
The board approved member appointments to 12 committees. The appointments are:
* RESA 5 Board: Hasbargen.
* Wood County Council of PTA: Yeater.
* Wood County Extension Committee: Smith.
* Personal Leave Bank Board: Asbury.
* Wood County Teachers' Retirement Board: Marlow (board president required).
* Wood County Recreation Commission: Marlow.
* Safety Committee: Asbury.
* Wellness Committee: Yeater.
* Calendar Committee: Smith.
* Audit Committee: Hasbargen.
* Strategic Planning Committee: Yeater.
* Williamstown Elementary School: Yeater.
The board discussed meeting dates for the 2014-15 school year, but no vote was taken. The dates will again be discussed tonight and may be up for approval.