PARKERSBURG - The quick response of the Parkersburg Fire Department saved an apartment building at 1710 31st St. after a cooking fire started in one of the apartments Thursday evening, officials said.
Apartment 6 of 1710 31st St. was occupied by Donovan Wright at the time of the fire, said Parkersburg Fire Chief Eric Taylor. The building held six apartments, and the damage was contained to only the upstairs apartment that was on fire, Taylor said.
Wright was transported to Camden Clark Medical Center after the fire, Taylor said. He suffered minor singeing of hair and required medical evaluation, Taylor said.
Photo provided by the Parkersburg Fire Department
Firefighters work to extinguish the upstairs apartment blaze at 1710 31st St. on Thursday evening.
Wright was still being assessed as of 10 p.m. Thursday, said Tim Brunicardi, director of marketing and public affairs at CCMC.
The Parkersburg Fire Department received the call about the apartment fire at 7:40 p.m., according to reports from the 911 Center. Firefighters were on the scene approximately 90 seconds later, Taylor said. The fire was extinguished within minutes, he said
"It was the quick response that kept the rest of the building from going up, too," Taylor said.
The building is owned by Doug Flint, who was on the scene to survey the damage.
"It was a good response," Flint said of the firefighters' work Thursday evening.
Wright had been cooking dinner and left the stove unattended to do something else in his apartment, Taylor said. The fire started on the stove while Wright was away and spread to the area around the stove quickly, he said.
The apartment sustained fire damage to the stove top, the cabinets around it, and ruined the plastic contents of those cabinets, Taylor said. Considerable smoke damage was present throughout the apartment, Taylor said. The damage was estimated at $15,000.
While the fire department was cleaning up after the fire, it appeared the power could be cut to only the damaged apartment, meaning the other residents could continue living in the building for now, Taylor said.
The fire department responded with 15 firefighters from all six stations, Taylor said.