PARKERSBURG - Theater students at Parkersburg High School will bring a popular 1990s movie to the stage this weekend in the PHS Auditorium.
The students will perform "The Wedding Singer: The Musical" at 7 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, with a matinee at 2:30 p.m. Sunday in the high school auditorium.
Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for students for the public performances.
Dymond Murray, center, plays Robbie Hart, the main character in “The Wedding Singer: The Musical,” along with his bandmembers, Brady Miller, left, as Sammy, and Dustin Digman, right, as George.
Club dancers perform the “Saturday Night in the City” number in the Parkersburg High School production of “The Wedding Singer: The Musical” on Thursday through Sunday in the school auditorium. They include, from left, Danielle Braham, Kaitlyn Sullivan, Keri Tucker, Kayleigh Davis and Celia Smith.
"The Wedding Singer: The Musical" features music by Matthew Sklar, book by Chad Beguelin and Tim Herlihy and lyrics by Chad Beguelin. Herlihy also wrote the screenplay for the movie.
The musical is based off of the popular 1998 movie starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore and tells the tale of wedding singer and hopeless romantic Robbie Hart. When Robbie is stood up at his own wedding by his fiancee, Linda, he spirals into depression until he befriends waitress Julia Sullivan.
He ends up falling for her, but she is engaged to Glen Guglia, an abrasive Wall Street type. When Robbie discovers what kind of person Glen really is, he is torn between telling Julia or letting her move on with her life.
Other Plays Opening
* Parkersburg Catholic High School will present "The Bold, The Young and The Murdered" at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday in the PCHS gymnasium. Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for students..
* Parkersburg South High School will present "Disney's Little Mermaid Jr." at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday and April 11, at 2:30 p.m. Sunday and at 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. April 12 in the auditorium at Parkersburg South. Tickets are $7 for adults, $5 for students and $4 for children ages 6 and under.
The show is directed by Lori Zyla, theatre teacher at PHS, while 1997 PHS graduate Robert Howard is assistant and musical director. Howard is also a member and frequent performer with the Actors Guild of Parkersburg. Choreography will be by Keri Tucker, a PHS senior.
The cast of "The Wedding Singer: The Musical" includes:
* Robbie Hart: Dymond Murray
* Julia Sullivan: Sam Shingleton
* George: Dustin Digman
* Sammy: Brady Miller
* Holly: Karly Hunt
* Glen: Rob Howard
* Rosie: Aiden Salvatore
* Linda: Celia Smith
* Angie Sullivan: Emily Biles
* Male Ensemble: Eric Crigger, Ryan Phipps, Mason Sams, Anthony Dickens, Matt Suttles, James Bobier, Justin Walker, Chad Richards and Blaiz Murray
* Female Ensemble: Edain Campbell, Maria Boggs, Sarah Pifer, Kaitlyn Sullivan, Keri Tucker, Rachel Sullivan, Becca Smith, Hanna Argabrite, Kaleigh Davis, Andrea Storhaug, Sydney Ankrom, Danielle Braham, Ashley Doyle, Kayla Morehead, Miranda Richards and Shayla Barnett
The crew includes:
* Director: Lori D. Zyla
* Assistant Director and Musical Director: Rob Howard
* Stage Manager: Morgan Argabrite
* Assistant Stage Manager: Allison Watkins
* Choreographer: Keri Tucker
* Set Design and Construction: Elliot Dodd
* Lights: Talon Sams
* Sound: Chase Campbell
* Wardrobe Manager: Emma Kaufman
* Stage Tech: Megan Tuley, Bonnie Ellis, Erin Price, Ivey Green, Katy Dalton, Josh Cox, Katelyn Tennant, Braden Hunt and Amelia Parkhurst