PARKERSBURG - The Parkersburg Fire Department on Wednesday endorsed the recall of a clamp-on light, sold by Ace Hardware stores, that is causing fire and shock danger, officials said.
The Ace Clamp-On LED Work Light was recalled nationwide on Tuesday by the Ace Hardware Corp. of Oak Brook, Ill., said Parkersburg Fire Chief Eric Taylor.
This recall occurred because of the electrical cord covering on the inside of the light base failing, Taylor said. This is permitting the cord wiring to pull out of the light's base, which exposes bare wire and presents a shock and fire hazard, Taylor said.
Clamp-on light recalled by Ace Hardware
About 15,000 of the Ace Clamp-On LED Work Lights were sold across America, Taylor said. They were sold between September and December 2013 at costs ranging from $10-$22, Taylor said.
The clamp-on light measures three inches wide, 2.25 inches deep and 2.25 inches tall, Taylor said. It has a silver plastic lamp head, rubber sides, and contains eight LED lights on one side of the device, Taylor said.
The base of the unit is made of black plastic and is cube-shaped, measuring 1.75 inches wide and 2.25 inches deep by two inches high, Taylor said.
The unit contains a six-foot-long black cord and a silver clamp with black rubber grips.
Recalled units have model number DC004 and a date code of "08/13" on the back of the light base, Taylor said.
These lights were manufactured in Indonesia, Taylor said.
Anyone who owns one of these units should stop using it immediately because of the fire danger it poses, Taylor said.
All units should be taken to a local Ace Hardware store, where the full cost of the unit will be refunded, Taylor said.
Additional information about the recall is available at www.acehardware.com under the product recalls link.