PARKERSBURG - Local event planner Misti Sims is organizing the fourth annual Dresses and Dreams of the Mid-Ohio Valley event, set for 6-8 p.m. March 18.
Organizers and donators to the event will offer aid to a select group of high school juniors and seniors attending a prom this year.
"If anyone knows a young lady in need of assistance they can send me the information," said Sims, owner of Little Black Dress Events. "It can be any Wood or Washington County school."
Event coordinators are seeking donations, including mirrors, hangers, clothing racks and gift certificates. Items and services that can be donated also include flowers, hairstylists, make-up artists and photographers.
The event provides the new and gently used formal gowns to high school girls whose parents are in financial distress. Sims said anyone can donate gently used prom dresses.
Donations can be dropped off the day of the event from 2-5 p.m. March 18 at The Premier Center at 1739 St. Marys Ave. in Parkersburg. Sims said Premier Productions is a partner in the event.
Dresses and Dreams Event
* Misti Sims is accepting referrals for the fourth year of Dresses and Dreams of the Mid-Ohio Valley.
* Referrals can be made by contacting Sims at email@example.com.
* Girls must be referred to the program by churches, teachers, counselors, community agencies or other trusted adults.
* Participants will be sent an invitation to Boutique Day on March 18 from 6-8 p.m. at the Premier Center in Parkersburg. Girls can bring one guest to the private event, where they will pick out their prom gown.
* A bakery wishing to help by donating cupcakes for the Boutique Day on March 18 can contact Sims at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sims accepts referrals to the program through churches, teachers, counselors, community agencies and other trusted adults, she said. Those selected to attend the Boutique Day at The Premier Center are sent formal invitations by Sims.
Organizers are seeking a business to supply cupcakes on the boutique day for the girls.
Sims is looking for donations to be made with dresses in larger sizes. She said she likes to have a good collection of sizes but is lacking in the 18- to 24-size range.
"Many of the dresses donated are in smaller sizes," she said of the dresses already donated. "It would be nice to have a selection."
Those who want to donate formal gowns to Dresses and Dreams of the Mid-Ohio Valley or refer a student from Wood or Washington County can contact Sims at email@example.com.