CHARLESTON - Nominations for the 2014 Governor's Arts Awards honoring exceptional artists and organizations making significant contributions to the state's culture are being accepted by the West Virginia Division of Culture and History and the West Virginia Commission on the Arts.
Nominations, of which forms are available online at www.wvculture.org/arts/artsindex.aspx or by calling Robin Hodge at (304) 558-0240, ext.155, must be postmarked by Feb. 21 or hand delivered to Hodge at the Culture Center, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. East in Charleston by 5 p.m. on Feb. 21.
All West Virginians are encouraged to nominate artists, organizations and communities in five categories:
* Arts in Education Award recognizing efforts to strengthen arts education in public schools.
* Distinguished Service Award to the Arts recognizing individuals and organizations of exceptional talent and creativity that have fostered growth and influenced trends and aesthetic practices on a state and national level.
* Leadership in the Arts Award to recognize individuals and organizations demonstrating exceptional leadership and access to the arts throughout the state.
How To Nominate
* Nominations, of which forms are available online at www.wvculture.org/arts/artsindex.aspx or by calling Robin Hodge at 304-558-0240, ext.155, must be postmarked by Feb. 21 or hand delivered to Hodge at the Culture Center, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. East in Charleston by 5 p.m. on Feb. 21.
* A ceremony and gala to present the awards will be held in the spring at the Culture Center in the State Capitol Complex in Charleston.
* Artist of the Year Award, which recognizes an individual artist who has impacted the exposure to the arts in West Virginia through his or her work.
* Governor's Arts Award for Lifetime Achievement to an individual or organization for significant achievement in the arts.
A panel of commission members and representatives from across the state will select winners based on the magnitude of their contributions and achievements, the range of individuals or groups served, the length of time and intensity of their dedication to the arts and their level of excellence.
For more information, contact Renee Margocee, arts director, at (304) 558-0240, ext. 145 or by email at Renee.Margocee@wv.gov.