WADESVILLE - Two structures were lost Monday afternoon after a fire broke out at 1002 Cain Hill Road in Wood County.
One Rottweiler was injured in the fire that consumed a single-wide mobile home and the nearby shed used for family storage, firefighters said. The electrical box for the lot was damaged beyond repair, although a charred utility pole and wire fencing still rose from the burned remains of the structures.
No one was inside the mobile home at the time of the fire, although the family was inside the small home nearby.
Little remains after a fire consumed two structures on Cain Hill Road in Wood County Monday afternoon. (Photo by Gretchen Richards)
Down the small side road that was more dirt than gravel, fire engines converged on the residence to find Kimberly Nutter, 27, of Wadesville watching the blaze from a safe distance.
Once, two structures stood in the Nutter yard - the small home, and approximately 50 feet away, the single-wide mobile home the family was hoping to move into soon. Now, only the small home remains, coated in a layer of soot that the children had already been drawing with their fingers in once the flames were extinguished.
At 1:15 p.m. Monday, the Lubeck Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to a call on Cain Hill Road, off of West Virginia 13 (Wadesville Road). Upon arrival, they found two structures engulfed in flames.
According to Mark Stewart, chief of the Lubeck Volunteer Fire Department, both structures were lost before the fire engines arrived.
The Blennerhassett Volunteer Fire Department and Washington Bottom Volunteer Fire Department also responded to the scene.
"There are no fire hydrants nearby," Stewart said, "so Blennerhassett and Washington Bottom were having to shuttle water for us to fight the blaze."
The scene is still under investigation by the Wood County fire investigation team. Stewart said they have no cause for the fire yet.
"The only witnesses we have to the cause of the fire are the injured dog and the duck," Stewart said, motioning to the animals who were wandering around the yard.
Nutter was in the small home with her three children when the fire started in the mobile home some distance away. Her children, a daughter, 9; a son, 7, and a son,13 months, were not injured in the fire. Nutter did not provide the names of her children, who were home from school with an illness at the time of the fire.
"I went to get the baby his bottle, and I just happened to look out the back door and saw the flames," Nutter said.
Nutter said she attempted to call 911, but was interrupted when the electricity that ran between the two homes failed. She had been able to identify her location, but not the fact there was a fire, before the call was lost due to the power outage.
Attempting to leave the small home by the door was impossible because of the heat, Nutter said.
"It was so hot out here that it melted the siding on our back porch," Nutter said as she pointed up to the damage. The vinyl siding was drooping off of the sides of the home like casually placed garland on a Christmas tree.
"I pushed the 9-year-old out the window on the far side of the house, and handed her the 13-month-old. Then I pushed the 7-year-old out after them and sent them all running up to the neighbors to call for help," Nutter said.
"The neighbors kept the kids for a couple of hours until the fire was out," Nutter said.
Nutter located an old corded phone in the small home, which was not on fire, and plugged it in so she could bypass the need for electricity. "When I picked it up to call back, 911 was still on the line and I yelled 'Fire!' to them," Nutter said.
"We were remodeling the trailer (mobile home) so we could move in; now we don't have that," Nutter said. The two-bedroom structure had more than $500 of renovation costs inside, she said.
"I'm really upset that the (storage) building burned down. My father built that from the ground up," Nutter said. The storage building was not attached to the mobile home, but was destroyed in the fire as well.
According to Nutter, the neighbor, Jim Reese, responded to the alarmed children by coming to her house to help while his wife kept the children.
Another neighbor, Richard Tennant, came to investigate when he saw the smoke, Nutter said.
"The dog was in the pen against the burning building," Nutter said. "Jim and Richard went in and forced the kennel door open to save the dog's life."
The dog, a full bred Rottweiler named Cyrus, suffered minor burns to his rump area. During the interview, Cyrus was running and playing with other animals despite his injuries.
The family lost most of the children's outdoor toys, including their bicycles, wagon, and other riding toys, according to Nutter. They also lost a new riding lawn mower, a wood burning stove and the majority of their winter wood pile, she said.
The fire melted the plastic rain guard on the driver's side window of the family's minivan. There were multiple locations of heat damage to the side of the smaller home that faced the burning mobile home.
"Now we don't have any way to hook electricity back up, even, so I just don't know what we're going to do," Nutter said.