PARKERSBURG The deadline for entering the 59th annual Parkersburg News and Sentinel and Marietta A.M. Cookbook is Monday.
All recipes to be entered in the contest for a grand prize of a $500 gift card from Foodland must be postmarked or email message timestamped no later than midnight on Monday.
Categories for 2013 are:
Recipes submitted in accordance with the following rules are eligible to win:
1. Each contestant may enter no more than 25 recipes, up to five recipes in each of five categories. This means you may not enter all categories, but must select your favorite five. Make sure to note what category or categories you are entering and count your entries before sending them in. If you send more than five recipes in any one category or enter more than five categories, none of your recipes will be entered into competition.
2. Recipes must be typed or legibly printed, one entry per page. Every entry must contain your name, address and telephone number. If we cannot contact you, you cannot win. At the top of each page, give the category for which the recipe is being entered and the name of the recipe.
Every recipe is retyped by our staff. It is important we are able to clearly read the measurements, ingredients and directions. It is also important we are able to identify and contact you.
3. Thoroughly read your recipes before sending, or even better, have someone else read them to make sure they are complete. Be sure to include pan size, temperature and length of cooking time.
DO NOT say "put in oven and cook until done." DO SAY "put in 350-degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown." DO NOT say "put in pan and cook." DO SAY "put in medium saucepan over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally."
Only give brand names if necessary to the success of the dish, but if purchased ingredients are used, be sure to give package size. For example: DO NOT say "add one box JELL-O pudding." DO SAY "add one 4-oz. box instant pudding mix."
Remember, readers will be trying to duplicate your dishes at home, so make it a pleasant experience for them by making your recipes easy to read and directions easy to follow.
4. Recipes may be emailed to email@example.com. The same rules apply: one recipe per message, with the category, name of recipe and complete contact information (name, address, phone number) on each. The recipe MUST be in the body of the email, NOT an attachment. Email messages with attachments will be returned.
5. Recipes may be dropped off at The Parkersburg News and Sentinel at 519 Juliana St., Parkersburg, or mailed to Cookbook Editor, The Parkersburg News and Sentinel, P.O. Box 1787, Parkersburg, WV 26102.
6. Recipes must be postmarked (or email messages timestamped) no later than midnight Sept. 16. No late submissions will be accepted.
7. If selected as a finalist, you must be available to attend the Tasting Party on Oct. 23. Complete details will be provided after finalists are chosen.
The cookbook will be published Nov. 24.