CHARLESTON - The West Virginia Chamber of Commerce has a new slate of officers elected at its Annual Meeting, with Parkersburg businessman Richard M. Adams becoming chairman of the organization.
Adams is chairman and CEO of United Bankshares Inc., leading the largest headquartered company in West Virginia.
United has 114 full service offices in West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C., with assets of $8.5 billion. The bank's Virginia-Metro District of Columbia subsidiary is the largest independent banking franchise in the D.C. metro statistical area. United has the distinction of paying dividend increases to its shareholders for 39 consecutive years.
The Chamber officers elected for 2013-14 include:
* Chairperson: Richard M. Adams, United Bankshares Inc.
* Vice Chairperson: Andrew Jordon, Pritchard Mining Co.
* Secretary: John Canfield, State Farm Insurance
* Treasurer: J. Randolph Cheetham, CSX Transportation
* Past Chairman: J. Thomas Jones, West Virginia United Health System Inc.
* President: Stephen G. Roberts, West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
The West Virginia Chamber of Commerce is the state's largest business advocacy organization, representing members in all 55 counties who employ over half of the state's workforce.