PARKERSBURG - The Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport will receive $824,191 as part of a $6 million federal funding award through the Federal Aviation Administration.
Terry Moore, MOVRA manager, said it was "really good news" and a lot more money than the airport officials expected.
"(The money) is specifically tied to this summer's project," Moore said Wednesday. "The rehabilitation of runway 321 and main parallel taxi way."
Moore said it was important the main runways received a revamp, which hasn't been done since 1998, not only for a smooth taxi ride for passengers but for the safety and comfort of pilots.
"We here at the airport feel an obligation to make sure everything works as well as possible," he said. "It's a lot more repair than we could do here (on their own)."
Moore said the project should last about 45 days and be completed before the first frost this fall, weather permitting.
"We are grateful for the local district office in Beckley, for recognizing the need," Moore said. "We're very excited about it and happy to get it done."
Sen. Jay Rockefeller's office announced the award in a press release on Wednesday, explaining it was a combined effort by Democrats Rockefeller, Sen. Joe Manchin and Rep. Nick Rahall, D-W.Va.
"Our local airports are critical to West Virginia's economy now and in the future," Rockefeller said in the press release. "This grant funding will make sure the state's airports remain safe and running so they can continue to facilitate ongoing air service throughout the state."
Manchin said funding transportation just makes sense.
"By improving our airport facilities in West Virginia, we are not only protecting our travelers, but we are also attracting businesses and residents to our communities and expanding business opportunities."
Rahall, a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said civil aviation contributes "enormously to our nation's economy." The funding comes from the FAA, according to the release.
The awards go to:
* $1,850,160 - Braxton County Airport - Sutton: To rehabilitate the runway at the Braxton County Airport.
* $1,300,625 - City of Morgantown: To replace the terminal building roof and drain system at the Morgantown Municipal-Walter L. Bill Hart Field Airport.
* $824,191 - Wood County Airport Authority: To rehabilitate the runway at the Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport.
* $733,776 - City of Fairmont and the Airport Authority, Fairmont: To construct a taxiway at the Fairmont Municipal-Frankman Field Airport.
* $300,000 - Elkins-Randolph County Airport Authority, Elkins: To rehabilitate the taxiway and its pavement.
* $299,970 - Raleigh County Airport Authority, Beckley: To rehabilitate the terminal building roof at the Raleigh County Memorial Airport.
* $185,000 - Greenbrier County Airport Authority, Lewisburg: To construct a taxiway at the Greenbrier Valley Airport.
* $173,598 - Nicholas County Airport Authority, Summersville: To rehabilitate the runway at the Summersville Airport.
* $150,000 - Buckhannon-Upshur Airport Authority, Buckhannon: To construct a hangar building at the Upshur County Regional Airport.
* $150,000 - Eastern West Virginia Regional Airport Authority, Martinsburg: To rehabilitate the taxiway at the Eastern W.Va. Regional/Shepherd Field Airport.
* $87,817 - Barbour County Airport Authority, Philippi: To construct a fuel facility at the Philippi/Barbour County Regional Airport.
* $58,223 - Mercer County Airport Authority, Bluefield: To design a taxiway that will help the airport meet standards.
* $50,000 - Benedum Airport Authority, Clarksburg: To install perimeter fencing at the North Central West Virginia Airport.